Question on 30gal sump..

jmartin48

Reefing newb
My progress on tank has come to a complete crawl since approaching christmas. But I managed to score a pretty good deal on a 30 gal tank off of craigslist for 20 bucks. Not but a few months old either. Only problem is it is a little taller than I expected. I was originally gonna get a 20 gallon long tank for sump. The 30 gallon is 18 and 3/4 inch in height and 30 inches long. What do you guy'z think?? Go with this one and get baffles cut or go for the 20 gallon?? I've got my tank drilled for a 1 and a 1/2" drain and goin with a 3/4" return with a mag 7 pump. Also any recommendations for a good skimmer?? Gonna try and get some progress in the next few weeks. And again thanks in advance :bowdown:

The bigger the better!! If you can, go with the 30, that's another 10G of water volume. I haven't had too many skimmers, but I have the Reef Octopus 110 NW in my sump in 8in. of water and it pulls all kinds of :pooh: up. Seriously, I have it skimming dry and I empty it 2 a week and the smell whenever I take off the lid is nauseating. It's also affordable and rated to 90G's. Now a days the new thing is "coned" skimmers. It really depends on the money your looking to spend.

i have to agree the octo 110 is a nice unit, i got mine a coupl months ago, and after about 8-10 days of "breaking it in" its pretty much been set it and forget it.. it just works.. oh and the stuff that comes out of it would gag a maggot.

ok i've gotten my 30 gal clean'd up and ready to go and i've take'n a look at the skimmers and it looks like the reef octo 110 is about 18" tall. I've also looked at the 150 and it was about 20" tall. I've take'n my measurements for my dividers but before I get the glass shop to cut em I wanted to see what you guy's think. This 30 gallon is pretty big. It fits in my stand very well but there is no room to work on either side and there's only about 6 and a half inches of room at the top. Is this gonna be enough room for me to do maintenance as need'd?? A 20 gallon long can fit in my stand and give me more room at the top but that's going less total water. As alway'z thanks in advance...

I made a sump out of a 30 gal tank. You only need 1 inch at the top of the skimmer to take the collection cup off. I made my baffles in the bubble trap to be as high as the skimmer needs to be run at. I used 3 psc. 10 inches high and the center baffle is 1 inch off the sump bottom. I also made the skimmer side of the sump just big enough for the footprint of the skimmer. I run an Octo or MSX 160 and figured the smaller the skimmer chamber is the more water will get skimmed and less will bypass the skimmer back to the return section. It's a tight fit under my stand cabinet, but you can fit it all in there. Good Luck

Back