Question on cycling

Hey do you need a skimmer to start the cycle on your tank or can you cycle the tank without a skimmer???

I don't think you have to have one in the beginning. But by the time you get done it should be up and running especially if you are using some cycling fish like damsels.

another tip is to buy the best skimmer you can afford cheap skimmers are a waste of money in my opinion use a deltec or a skimmer with a pin wheel

i think deltec are way over priced. you def. can get like a octopus or swc skimmers, you will get more bang for your buck with these skimmers and they do very well..

No you don't need a skimmer to start the cycle. If you add live rock, that'll do it. Or, if you add some fish food to the empty tank and let it rot. I do not recommend using live fish to cycle a new tank. That's about the worst way you could do it. Either live rock or fish food will do the trick.

well I just researched it and the only thing that will fit under my tank is an octopus extreme. Where is the best place to pick one up pretty cheap???

Back