Question on RO Unit output

Moraygirl

Reefing newb
Hi everyone!

I am new to this site, and just got back into SW. I had tanks from the 1970's into the 80's (things ALOT different then). So I have my 65 gallon set up with a 100 gallon I am going to get going as soon as I can get the $ for the live rock, etc. Also have a 20 gallon that is basically my QT/macro grower tank.

What I wanted to ask was regarding the output on my RO unit. It is a Kent RO 60 gpd. Should there be approx three times as much waste water coming out as good water? I knew that it would make ALOT of waster water, but is that much normal??

Thanks!!

You will have alot more waste than clean water, my unit takes atleast 2 days to make 40 gallons, its speed really depends on your water pressure. My unit should make water much faster but my water pressure is low.

I used that system with a hi-s filter on my last system. initially i was getting about 1 to about 3-4. at a pressure of apprx. 40 lbs. I added a booster pump and my good water improved in quantity and it settled out at about 1 good to apprx. 2 1/2 bypass new filters and 1-3 after some use. So yes it is not uncommon to have the by pass amount you have indicated. The more ro water you produce at one time the better the filter will produce. i.e. one who only does 20 gal now and then will have a certain level of bypass and good water amounts. a person who does 50 gal at a time will have better performance with the ro unit. I normally do 50 gal. at a time for makeup and 50 gal for water changes. olive barrels that have been sterilized are great food grade containers for this storage. just my thoughts, maybe too big but hopefully you get the idea.

Back