Question?????

VB68

Reefing newb
This might be a dumb question.... but.... I have been reading and searching the net. Some say for a reef tank you need a wetdry and a protien skimmer, some say just a protien skimmer, the wetdry is for fish only tanks. I comfused now.... What do yall think?

Hello and welcome!

You are doing the right thing by researching first, but it is hard because there is lots of conflicting information out there has the the hobby has grown and we learn new things.

But i wouldnt use a wet/dry filter on any tank, they are more trouble than they are worth and there are better options out there.

A protein skimmer is a great addition to any tank, as is a fuge or a skimmer. But if you have a smaller tank, you can just do regular water changes. Another awesome filtration option besides live rock are algae skimmers. But you have get a good skimmer, a crappy skimmer is a crappy skimmer and not worth the plastic they are made of. Get a good skimmer and you should be good.

Hello and welcome!

But if you have a smaller tank, you can just do regular water changes.
I will be setting up a 100 gal tank. Do you have any suggestions on a skimmer? I'm still quite a ways out from setting it up. Just researching now, then going to start gathering equipment. slow process, but don't want to jump in with both feet all at once. Plus it is exspensive to get started>

I will be setting up a 100 gal tank. Do you have any suggestions on a skimmer? I'm still quite a ways out from setting it up. Just researching now, then going to start gathering equipment. slow process, but don't want to jump in with both feet all at once. Plus it is exspensive to get started>

I'd look into a Bubble Magus NAC6 or NAC7 skimmer. Both are awesome skimmers, rated for 160 gallons, and very, very affordable. The Octopus Skimmers are also great skimmers, but much more pricey.

Chaeto

Hey Biff, just a thank you note to let you know the chaeto arrived today...I removed the rubble from the wet/dry (even though you guys don"t like them) and added a sock to catch the detriment and added your "magical" chaeto......hopefully will see some improvements in the "nitrates from hell" category although little_fish has some doubts...anyway it's worth a shot,,,,,thanks to you, little_fish and everyone that posted info for me ......

Good, I'm glad it arrived. That one took a while... Let us know if the chaeto helps. It should bring your nitrates down within a few weeks.

Back