Questions about a fish/invert 10 gallon aquarium set-up

SJojo3377

Reefing newb
Hello all!
So after throwing around the idea of doing a saltwater tank with our 10 gallon(PetCo pkg tank) or not, we decided to do it. Originally this tank was going to be our quarantine tank for our 65 gallon, but that tank is going to take A LOT of money (lighting, protein skimmer,return pump) and we don't have that right now. Also, we are moving at the end of Oct of this yr so that also would be a pain to move all of that water, livestock, etc.
Alrighty, so we went to our lfs that we always go to at least once a week cause we just love to look at his tanks and stock...Today, we bought one bag of 20 lb live sand and 10 gallons of established water that they use in their tanks. (Their livestock and corals always look really nice and healthy, so we figured it should be okay) Also we bought a Hydor 425 powerhead (really nice water movement!) Tomorrow we are going to buy 10lbs of live rock and some clean up crew. We weren't going to add any fish until 2 or 3 wks have gone by. I did buy the API test kit, so I def will be testing.

My questions are:

1. Our filter is the one that normally comes with the 10 gallon pkg at PetCo. It is an Aqueon 10, is this ok for fish only? It does have carbon in the filter.

2. How often do I need to replace this filter?

3. Does this tank need to cycle after we add the rock cause the water we are using is established water?

4. Can we add a clean up crew right away?

5. Should we add a bottle of pods in?

6. Is this a good stocking list for a 10 gallon?
We want to add
CUC crew: 5 cerith snails
5 astera snails
1 brittle star
2 fire shrimp

1 chocolate starfish

Fish: 2 purple firefish
1 neon goby
2 banggai cardinal fish

Thank you all and just to add again, this is a temp set-up. We want to add all of these things to our 65 gallon when we get moved into our next place.

Wow you got a lot going on I will only comment my opinion on some of your questions. Your filter will be your live rock if I was to anything there are some good quality skimmers out there. Sounds like you are fast tracking to add livestock Even with live rock and live water I would still monitor my water conditions for a month the only down side to what your are attempting is you can’t buy at any LFS and that is time October is only a few months away why not plan, buy and store for the 65? Sounds like you are planning the 65 in October you will need to start all over again I don’t think transferring everything over from a 10 to a 65 will allow you to cut any corners you will still need to let the 65 mature before any livestock can go in. Again this is just my opinion I have learned the first lesson in this hobby you don’t plan to fail you fail to plan.

1. Our filter is the one that normally comes with the 10 gallon pkg at PetCo. It is an Aqueon 10, is this ok for fish only? It does have carbon in the filter.

-I still use my 5 gallons hob filter, but i took out all the pieces and replaced them with live rock rubble

2. How often do I need to replace this filter?

DONT use the filter for anything besides live rock and carbon, but if you do want to keep the filter it will need to be changed every couple of days.

3. Does this tank need to cycle after we add the rock cause the water we are using is established water?

Most likely it will still have to cycle, the beneficial bacteria live more on the rock and sand, not the water.

4. Can we add a clean up crew right away?

No the tank should cycle

5. Should we add a bottle of pods in?

After the cycle

6. Is this a good stocking list for a 10 gallon?

Too many fish! you are limited to one, maybe 2 fish for a 10 gallon, salt water fishes need more room than freshies

I have the exact same 10g petco tank as you that I set up for my 10g. I have the filter running but don't have anything in it, just using it for water flow and eventually will put some rubble and chaeto in it. It's fine to run it, just clean it out periodically because junk can collect in there. You can periodically run carbon to polish the water if you want, but the live rock will act as your primary filter. In a 10g, you really don't need a protein skimmer, just regular weekly water changes, a couple of gallons at a time, should be fine. I also have the Hydor Koralia 425 and between that and water movement from the filter I find it to be adequate.

If you are bringing the live rock home and putting it right in the tank you might avoid a cycle, but I'd wait to add a cuc for at least a week and test your water levels so you know for sure. To prevent as much die off as possible on the live rock, try to transport submerged in a bucket of saltwater. Also, make sure to put your rocks in before the sand - they need to be resting on the glass or else you could get a rockslide from a snail or fish burrowing under them.

As for your stocking list - first, it's a few fish too many. Once you get the rocks in the tank, etc., you'll be surprised at how cramped it gets quickly! I would recommend only 1 firefish - I think you might get territorial issues and bullying with two of them. And I think the cardinals need a 30g tank, so I would find something else instead - there are a lot of cool options out there - take a look at the Nano Fish section on Live Aquaria for some ideas! I'm also not sure you need 2 fire shrimp, they get big quickly. The chocolate chip star isn't reef safe, but if you don't plan to add corals then you should be okay. For the brittlestar, I'd wait to add it until your tank has been running for a few months, just so there's enough food in there to sustain it. And make sure you don't get a green brittle star - they are vicious and will eat fish (they are affectionately known as the green brittle star of death). The neon goby will be cool - just be aware they have a short live span (like 1 year) so it won't be around forever. I'd also recommend adding about 10 nassarius snails to your list and a turbo snail or two. Other cool inverts that you can add would be a feather duster (make sure its not a coco worm, they don't last long in our tanks), and a tuxedo urchin. Can't wait to see it come along!

Thank you for your imput, it is appreciated. We really really want to have a tank right now and we will go slow....i'm not happy about a 10 gallon but, at least it is something. I will def cut down my stocking list and will just buy the 10 lbs of live rock. Then, will begin my testing. I already know once the trates, trites, and ammonia is 0, it will be safe. Thanks everyone, i will post pics soon. :-)

"October is only a few months away why not plan, buy and store for the 65? Sounds like you are planning the 65 in October you will need to start all over again I don’t think transferring everything over from a 10 to a 65 will allow you to cut any corners you will still need to let the 65 mature before any livestock can go in"

Toolman, basically, we are doing that, but we don't have the monies for that right at this sec. We are waiting on getting work first. Starting a 10 gallon right now is much more doable (even though it is so dang small). It is something. As soon as we get work, we will be buying and storing all the pieces of equipment needed for the 65 gallon. We won't be getting that tank wet, just have everything we need for it. As far as when we move, we will of course set up and cycle the 65 gallon before we put anything in it. So, the fish will still be in the 10 gallon when we move. We are not trying to hasten anything or cut corners, I assure you.

I would not use the filter at all. They are not necessary for small tanks, and you will find your tank cramped for space with all that equipment in there. I ran a very nice 10 gallon for a long time with no filter -- just a powerhead and heater. Regular water changes are a much easier and cheaper way of keeping your water quality good (no need to keep buying filter media). I would just make sure you stay on top of water changes.

It's not very important to use established water. What determines the length and strength of the cycle is bacteria in the tank. These bacteria mainly live in the rock and sand -- not water. I don't think using established water will make a bit of difference. So your tank will still have to cycle.

You can add a clean up crew after the tank cycles -- that is, ammonia and nitrites at zero, and nitrates at less than 10 (they are usually higher after a cycle, you have to do water changes to bring them down).

I wouldn't bother adding pods. They will hitch hike in on the live rock. Save your money for something else. :)

Your invert stocking list looks fine. You may want to consider adding nassarius snails to the list -- the live in the sand and keep it clean. One thing, though. Chocolate chip stars are not reef safe. They can and will eat your other inverts and any corals you try to add. I would pass on that animal and just stick with the other star.

The general rule of thumb for stocking saltwater is 1 fish per 10 gallons, give or take a fish. So you are looking at being able to keep 2 small fish. Small tanks are limited in livestock options, unfortunately. :(

Back