Questions about a Plant for my tank and an Algae issue.

KevinR840

Reefing newb
I would really like to put some maidens hair grass in my tank I really like the look of the plant. However, I am worried that it will grow out of control and I'll eventually have an issue with it. I was hoping it would help a little bit with nutrient export, will it?

I'm Also having an issue with brown Hair algae, and some brown algae that grows on the sides of the tank and the substrate. I think it is due to a couple of things. 1) I neglected doing a water change for at least two weeks. 2) I got a new light fixture that is awesome, and puts out a metric :pooh:ton more light than my old one did. 3) I only had two koralia 2's in the tank and have now added a koralia 1050 hoping to increase the flow.

Since the outbreak I have been doing a water change about every other day. I also do not have a skimmer on the tank.

Tests:
PH-8.2
NO3- 0-5
PO4- 0
NH3- 0

I don't know anything about maidens hair, but it sounds like you're taking the right steps for the algae....I would say the new lights are at least a partial cause of it. Increasing the flow can't hurt either.

Back