Questions about cycle --- No nitrates?

Truckie

Reefing newb
Hello all,

I just began to stock my first saltwater aquarium. It's a 55 gal. with approximately 60lbs of rock (50lbs dry rock, 10 lbs live rock).

I cycled the tank with a raw table shrimp. I noted an ammonia spike and a nitrite spike. Both returned to 0 without any indication of nitrates. After about a month I took a water sample to the LFS to confirm, and they said all my parameters looked good. I decided to add some live stock to the tank and all levels remain at 0 over a week later.

I was wondering why I never saw a rise in nitrates in my tank? Is it fully cycled? At what point should I conduct my first water change?

I did not test for nitrates until I noticed a nitrite spike. Is there a chance that I missed the nitrates all together? I was under the impression that the only way to get rid of them was through a water change.

I'm running my tank with an 850gph powerhead and a HOB fluval filter with charcoal/filter sponge.

Here's some highlights from my log since starting the aquarium:

4/15 - tank established with 50lbs dry rock, shrimp added
4/21 - ammonia 2.0, NO2 0.0
4/22 - one 5lb piece of live rock added. (from Petco, not the best quality)
4/28 - ammonia 4.0, NO2 1.0
4/30 - ammonia 2.0, NO2 2.0
5/6 - ammonia 0.0, NO2 5.0
5/7 - added 6lbs of live rock from LFS (much better quality)
5/10 - ammonia 0.0, NO2 0.0, NO3 0.0 (confirmed water test with LFS)
5/10 - added 2 clowns, emerald crab, 6 hermits, 6 snails
5/12 - all levels 0
5/18 - all levels 0

Can someone help me out with this? I'm not worried, just confused. Everyone in the tank seems happy so far!

That is completely normal. You just missed the window when your trates spiked. Keep an eye on them and phosphates for a while during your addition of live stock. Just go slow on adding so that you dont overload your system. Good luck

once my system had a nitrite spike and came back to 0 i started adding livestock and it was months before I even had a trace of nitrates.

My 29g BioCube is about 4 months old and I check nitrates about every other week. I have never had any indication at all as well.

Back