Questions about Harlequin shrimp...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Should I set up a species tank for the harlequins I picked up... I have a empty 10 gallon, but I don't know if I should just put them in the display tank...

If you put them in your display tank, kiss any stars that are part of your cleaner crew goodbye. I'd keep them in a species tank.

if you dont have a problem with losing starfish and dont care about feeding them starfish (which i guess you dont care about that part since you picked them up) put them in your display, they look really cool and i have seen them in my lfs 125 display tank. but if you care about the starfish thing then just setup your own tank for them

Actually that shrimp I don't think eats star fish, but it eats the tube feet off of star fish and other inverts that have the tube feet. Some people keep several chacolate chip stars in a seperat area and put a new one in the tank to get it feet eaten then return it to the area to heal and stick a diff one in the tank. Atleast that way you don't have to keep buying new stars.

Use a small tank for raising sea stars.Cut off there legs from time to time and feed the harlequins that are in the main tank.The 10g. is really to small for the harlequins.Its going to get messy,I hope you have good skimming and that your system can handle it.

Back