Questions about my Filters....

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Hi, Well, my new lights are here and sitting on my tank. I've got to say, I really don't like them. The problem is, now I sit and look at all my hanging on the back of the tank stuff. The hanging filter is splashing all the way up to the lights and my Protein skimmer is blowing bubbles. I think I can fix the protein skimmer, I need to fiddle with the air intake tube but the hanging on the back filter is just ugly. So, my question is: I've got a protein skimmer, a few pieces of live rock, live sand.... do I need that hanging on the back filter? I don't want to make a sump or anything like that for this tank. Thanks,

Catherine

Not really.I'd just remove the filter.You can always put it back for a day or 2 when you nee to run some carbon or something like that.

thanks, yote, I turned off my hanging on the back filter and I forgot that it really helped move the water in my tank. I think I can fix the splashing problem by raising my water level a bit. Right now it's about an inch down from where the water pours out. Got my protein skimmer to stop blowing bubbles. After spending the day yesterday de-bugging my broadband connection and now fiddling with all these wires and such, I'm starting to think that I missed my calling by being an artist. Maybe I sould be an electrician! The lights are very pretty in the tank and everthing is more colorful. Can't wait to shoot it later!

Catherine

HOB fliter's are not needed in this hobby. LR & LS with a good skimmer is all you need. If your leaving it there due to water movement I'd suggest trying a Maxi-jet or Korilla type of power head. HOB filter's will turn into Nitrate factory's in the long run, unless you remove the filter pad. For time being I'd remove the filter pad and run it without it.

I doubt that size HOB filter would hold enough cheato to make any difference.Plus you'd have to make sure it was getting light for the cheato to grow and do its job.They do make pretty good pod factories though.

I used a HOB once as pod replacement housing. It worked quite well. Pods can grow without anything eating them up. And the pump didn't create too much flow for them. I put and small amount of sand in it and LR ruble and tossed the filter pad. But sand found it's way into the pump and burned it up.

Back