Questions about my mushroom and leathers

Denita

Sail em & Sell em
I bought a piece of live rock yesturday and it was a beautiful piece I can post a pic of it, but my leathers or mushrooms havent opened back up since the change from the pet store to my tank The lady at the pet store told me to do a freash water dip before adding it to my tank which i did. was that a mistake? also this piece of live rock had star polyps on it and they have not opened back up cant even see them anymore. I am very worried about this piece anyone have any ideas on what I should do? im upset cause i spent 120 dollars on this one piece! PLEASE HELP!

Oh I almost for got the leathers in the store were about 3in tall and now barley an inch along with the mushrooms they were at least as big as a pop can around. :question:

Attachments

• 100_4011.jpg
    100_4011.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 100_4009.jpg
    100_4009.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 510
  • 100_4007.jpg
    100_4007.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 691
The freshwater dip was a good idea. It wouldn't have hurt the corals (but it could have hurt the rock they are on).

Are your lights strong enough for corals? And are your water parameters good? If so, then just give them some time to adjust. It's not uncommon for corals to take several days to a week to open up after they are moved.

I always freshwater dip zoas when they come attached to a rock.I'm not sure what freshwater does to star polyps,leathers and mushrooms though.I do think it is possible that you might of killed or stressed them out.

Those two different color morphs of zoas look great,btw.

Thank you every one, The picture thats close up if you blow it up you can see my stressed mushroom, he has hair like strings comming out of his stem its purple and green mushroom the leathers are in the back and yesturday they were curled over today they are standing up but very little yet. can not see any star pylops tho, also i have some kind of light pink on the back side of my rock looks like a nother sort of mushroom or soft coral but cant see what it is really. dont want to touch it or disturb them more. I did notice that I have a small baby pink feather duster on the rock though and hes doing great loving it but the orange and green polyps are over taking him, hes as small as a tooth pick! cute tho!

That is probably from the fresh water dip. When stressed, mushrooms can spit their guts out. Kind of a defense mechanism. It should be fine in a few days.

Awesome guys thanks so much, Now how long should I wait till I can get somemore live rock and corals if they do all look better in a few days? Do i have to wait any or can My pocket book make the disisions!!?? lol

With corals, you don't really need to wait before adding more, it's not like fish where they add to your bioload

well today still no star pylops yet mushrooms are still stringy looking and leathers are slowly startimg to perk but still very small compared to what it was! still got my fingers my lecels are all great so i dunno!

Back