Questions about purchasing an established tank

Tifoez

Reefing newb
Ok, so I'm not sure which thread to post in(feel free to move), but I have an emergency list of questions regarding purchasing an established aquarium from ebay, I am including pictures and have a general idea of how-to..

To my limited experience:
fish only with sand substrate & live rock.

The rock transport-cardboard box, trash bag liner, wrap rock with newspaper and pour tank water until wet

Sand transport-5gal buckets

Live fish-fish bags from lfs with tank water, in proper size container with hand warmers on the outside of cooler, inside of cardboard..

Ok, here is where I am worried.. its a 90gal, and I'd spend A LOT less gas money discarding the remainder of the established water.. BUT I'm worried about shock from the current water to a new rodi salt mix (that has circulated roughly two days)..

Any and all advice welcome.. the tank is at current auction at $200 and I'm looking at $100 for travel/moving equipment..

Screenshot_2014-02-28-00-04-41.jpg
Screenshot_2014-02-28-00-04-36.jpg
Screenshot_2014-02-28-00-04-29.jpg
Screenshot_2014-02-28-00-04-24.jpg

No.. I have a 55 gal drum I plan to take so I can bring back as much water with the tank as possible.. I am prepping a rodi/salt mix to 1.024.. I am unsure what salinity they have theirs set up at..

I have moved many tanks over the years successfully.

I wouldn't even bother with the old sand. I would get new sand to avoid major problems that will come after stirring up an established sand bed. You can rinse the old sand thoroughly if you have enough time. I would take as much of the established tank water as you can. Keep everything as warm as you can. It is a stressful event for you and the livestock but it is doable.

I am about to call the gentleman that currently has the tank, what are some questions I should ask..

So far I asked
the age of the tank - 10 years old
Age of saltwater equipment - 3 years old
Established - over a year
Water chemistry - yet to be answered

Comes with everything seen in the tank
Livestock:

There is a hippo tang, rainbow wrasse, electric blue and a really nice maroon clown. Whatever amount of live rock for a 90G tank suggests is in there..I google everything!

I don't see any corals so what kind of light does it have? If you are planning to make it a reef that will be important but if you are going to leave it as a FOWLR not so much.

I don't see a sump in the pic. So I assume the tank isn't drilled. Looks like he is running a HOB protein skimmer?

I like to run at least 1-1/2-2lbs per gallon of live rock and it looks like it might be a pound/gal. May be some additional cost there.

Has the tank ever been resealed and how does the silicone look?
Any chips or scratches that might be an eye sore or cause integrity issues?
I have never bought a tank unseen in person. Good luck!

First off, who the heck puts a bumper sticker on their fish tank? I am with salt tho you look light on rock and plan on new sand. And a good long equipment vinegar soak. Here is what I would say about the water: you know the livestock are ok in the water that is currently in the tank (*generally speaking, I don't see huge ich spots or anything). It's a 90 gal tank but realistically is probably closer to 75-80 with the displacement of rock and sand. you are going to bring the livestock home in bags with water, and the rock will have water poured over it, etc. If you bring home 45 gal in your totes/barrel, that would mean you need to throw 30-40 gallons in it when you get home. That is basically two friends riding along with you (~360-400#), probably not as much additional gas money as you think, Additionally, that's only a 30-40% water change which is no big deal, as long as when you call this person you ask the water salinity and temp is. Match it as close as possible and your new critters should be fine. The legs of the light make it look like an older aquaticlife 4 bulb T5 fixture without the integrated timers. The skimmer looks like a RemoraC which is a pretty great unit. I would ask specifically where the stand came from, it kind of looks like a TV stand and I wouldn't want a big investment sitting on that. Good luck

It ended at 4:32pm today.. my wife and I calculated the purchase of the tank, fuel, the additional live rock, and the fact it went over $285.50 an hour before close, we decided to put that money toward our 85 gal build and catch the next one..

Seriously THANK YOU everyone for all your support and quick replies

P.S. I am a big Penn State fan but even I planned on scraping the bumper sticker off the tank.. lol

I am sure you already do this but keep an eye out on Craigslist. At least there it is something you can go physically touch and see before pulling the trigger;)

I check CL every day before going to bed.. I think we live in an aquarium free zone, or just a bunch of broke mo-fos.. all I ever fimd is fresh, and one or two salts that are oitdated and they want $2k..

I should begin buying the plumbing material for the 85 gal in the morning sometime.. is there anywhere special to buy bulkheads?? My Lowes doesn't seem to carry them..

If I need non stock plumbing fittings in a pinch I call around to the local swimming pool stores, otherwise Amazon.

Back