Questions about QT tank

cgoodman381

can i put whtever i want?
For a 150g tank about what size QT is appropriate? Say for a standard size tang, whats the smallest size QT I should have him in? I have my 24g, but id rather not use it for a QT so all that leaves me with is an 8g =\ What do you think?

Same rule applies, the bigger the better. But it doesnt have to too big. 24 is just perfect because i assume you will be keeping large fish in your DT.

I think 8 is too small. Keep in mind that a QT needs to have excelent water quality so the fish doesnt get even more stressed. with a 8g you will have a hard time keeping the water good. Its better than no tank at all but if you can use the 24. itxs much better.

i do not think that a 8 gallon would work a twenty would be good i think. the only thing i would put in a qt tank is water a heater no sand or live rock. just because if you have to medicate the tank it will kill any thing living in the sand and rock.

There I nothing stopping anyone from using a sump with a quarantine tank. A 32 gallon plastic trash can make a great sump. Even better is when a plastic bag is put in it first as it can be thrown away after the water is removed and there is no chance that the trash can will become contaminated. Each new quarantine gets a new bag. A small glass tank would allow ready viewing of the fish and the large sump would allow more water mass. The simplest method would be to drill a hole for an over flow bulk head in the side wall or back wall of the tank near the top. Place the tank in a position where the over flow hole is higher than the sump container. Pump water from sump to tank and drain by gravity through the over flow back into sump container.

Last edited:
Back