Questions on a closed loop system...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Ok, so I am having trouble with designing the plumbing for my 135... Right now as it stands, I have only 3 holes in the tank... A 1.5" for drain and 2 1" for returns... My question is can i do a closed loop system... I do not want to drill anymore holes... If I cannot do a closed loop can someone explain the best way to plumb this thing... On my 60 I simply drilled a hole in the last compartment and ran pvc from the right side of the tank to the left side, then dropped the pvc into the sump... Should I just do the same thing on the 135...

I gonna jump in since nobody has responded.

From my understanding a close loop has nothing to do with the drain and return from the sump.Its a way to have circulation without having powerheads.You will have to drill the tank and connect it to a water pump.The return from the water pump is split off to two,three or more pvc pipes to different areas of the tank.

I would set up your sump with the drain and return.Then look at powerheads/circulation pumps for added flow since your not wanting to drill anymore holes.

reeffreak is exactly right. you do need one hole drilled for a closed loop system. its completely separate from your sump/return. it is hooked up with a dry external pump. I don't really need to go on because I'm basically re wording reeffreak, but I love my closed loop. I don't think ill ever use powerheads on future tanks again. I recommend tank drilling :)

you could get by with drilling only one hole in the tank for the pump intake. then just simply run the returns up and over the back of the tank. it would'nt look as pretty, but it would save drilling a bunch of holes.

Ok..Here is a question for you guys... I have 3 holes already drilled in the overflow, could I in theory use the 1.5" drain hole for the closed loop system, then use 1 of the 1" return holes for a drain to the sump, and finally use the other 1" return for a return to the tank via the sump...

In theory it sounds like it would work.

Perhaps use one 1'' return from the sump and the other 1'' for the close loop system.Leave the 1.5'' as is.

Back