Questions on getting started with the right setup

hmm.. I've decided on API for testing. OMG, I had a dream that I got a 150gal. tank for 180 including stand. I was very happy. Too bad it was a dream.

Sometimes dreams come true... I got my 240 (tank and stand) for $100 total. Plus, my LFS delivered it to my house for free.

...Once I got the tank set up, a really nice guy that works at my LFS smiled and slyly told me, "The only reason we gave you that tank for that price is because we knew you'd be in our store every day after that buying all the sand, rock and animals to fill it". Oh, how right he was.

lol! They knew they were going to make a profit from you because you had to fill it up with something. I'm just trying to figure out refugium size. Okay, I'm reading up on refugiums and I see many people recommend about 1/4 or 20% of your tank volume should be a refugium if you plan on using it a source of food to keep a nice supply for your main tank. So that means it would have to have 60gal.- 75gal. My question is does that include the water in the sump or just the refugium?

Also, I've been reading and it says when you add school fish get them in odd numbers and not even. I have a problem.. I'm OCD and hate odd numbers unless it's 1. 3,5,7 numbers annoy me. Why is it recommended to put in an odd number of fish.

Last edited:
If you add an even number of fish, they will form "teams" and beat up on each other. Since the two teams are equally matched, they will fight and fight and fight, possibly causing death to the fish on other teams. They see each other and are like, "Hey, that fish team has two guys! We have two guys too! We can take them!"

If you add an odd number, say 5, they form "teams" of 3 and 2. The 2 fish team looks at the 3 fish team and automatically thinks, "Oh man, we'd better not fight with those guys, they've already got one more fish than we do." So adding odd numbers of fish usually decreases the chance of fighting among them.

That is, naturally, the scientific explanation. :D

Of course, a lot of fish do well in pairs. So maybe you should stick to those species :).

Last edited:
Omg, I love your explanation. That's funniest thing I've read all day. Okay, for the sake of the fish I will deal with odd numbers.

Really, that only applies to schooling fish. Like, if you want a school of chromis or cardinals, you'll have better success with an odd number. There are plenty of fish that MUST be kept as the only one of its species, and there are plenty that do better in pairs.

Back