Quick question about temprature...

Marklyall87

Reefing newb
Hi, I'm currently setting up a new chiller & just wanted to know the ideal water temprature, I have a 220lt community reef tank with a few soft corals, pair of clowns, regal tang, yellow tang...etc & have currently been keeping the tank on about 78oF, any help would be great, thanks. Mark

Most people locally and pet stores are running at 78 degrees. Thats what I find to be the main road temp setting most used.

If the output from the chiller is upstream in your sump from your heaters then the heaters will kick on soon after your chiller kicks on.

so make sure you put the output after your heaters.

I been tuning it up over the last 24hr's & seems to be doing good now, as someone said I didn't want the pair fighting against each other but they seem good now, It's a corner sump so it's a little hard to explain but the heater is at the back where the down pipe from the tank is, the water then flows foward through my media, this is where the chiller water is returned (so it's after the heater). The water then flows into the front of the sump where the pumps for the chiller & water returned to tank are.

were you having issues with the water going above 80 in the first place? just wondering why a chiller was needed. I know here where I live and most of the us you are ok without a chiller and just having a heater in place.

I'm in Arizona and don't even use a chiller. If you have temp problems, you can save your money and buy a $7 clip-on fan from Walmart. Have that blowing across the surface of the sump, and it will drop your tank's temps by 8 to 10 degrees. And it saves you electricity and $400 that you would have spent on a chiller.

Like this...

23bce7a9.jpg

The tank is in a log summer house in the garden so it gets extremely hot in here, i have got a fan running aswell but I find there's alot more evaporation using it for some reason & besides I payed £100 for a new teco chiller, pump & fittings so it wasn't to bad.

Back