Quick response if you can please

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
Hi all, I just got back from the hardware store which is now closed for the day. I wanted to make some progress tonight on my 65 gallon set up, not a whole lot left to do so I was hoping on getting it wet and having the cycle begin sometime this week.

Long story short.....I bought white ge 1 silicone instead of clear. Are there any different chemicals in this, or can it be used just the same as clear? It is going to be used to put my new frame on the top of my tank. I need to secure this before I run my return lines, so I was hoping I could use the white on the inside, let it set overnight and then tomorrow work on the return lines. Mon or Tues I would seal the inside around the frame with clear silicone.

Think this will be okay? or should I just go out and buy some clear silicone tomorrow?

I would wait and get the clear silicone tomorrow. I think white usually has mold reducers and other things in it, and I wouldn't risk it.

Okay, Thanks Zissou. I have waited this long, so a few more days in order to do things correctly wont bother me at all. Appreciate the quick response.

The color won't matter, GE type I silicone is safe to use in/around your tank. The GE type II silicone is the one that contains mildew resistant chemicals. I've used the type I in both of my tanks and they've both been running for over a year without any issues.

Back