Quicker, Easy Water change ideas

lilman446

Where am I? Oh there I am
Ok here goes, First of all thank you everyone for all the welcome posts from the introduction thread. I am getting ready to start building my tank stand and putting all my ideas from the last 2 months of planning together. My 1st main question is about the ease of a water change idea. My idea is to have a drain running through the floor to the basement using 3/4" pcv to my basement sink/washer drain then having my pre-heated/mixed salt water pumped up through a return line from the basement but my question is should I drain from the sump or the tank and my thinking on it was draining the sump then filling back to where it was into the sump. ???? Any thoughts on this is this a good idea or bad idea. I am still up in the air on this. I will be running a 75 Gal. FOWRL tank for now till i can upgrade lights in 6-8 months after my tank is good and healthy then i may start doing some corals and such but I am getting started this weekend on the stand and making my DIY RO/DI drip filter. I just ordered 90lb live rock at 5.25 lb!! The 2 boxes of rock will be delivered to my LFS next thurs and my 30gal Q-tank is awaiting the new saltwater and will be filled heated curculating and ready for the rock by thurs. I am doin a DIY stand and will post pics as i go this weekend but i am planning most of the plumbing now before i get the stand in place What do you all think i will be running a wet/dry sump for now till I can afford another box of LR to replace the bio-balls got a really nice one for $150 that can be used for up to 150 gal tank if i ever decide to upgrade. ( :helm2: I love my LFS :sfish:) the area in the basement i am thinking of pumping up from is directly below where my tank will be upstairs think this will work with a powerful pump???? Good Idea? Bad idea ??? :question:

Your idea will work.BUT.You'll need a way to siphon detritus off the rock when do your water changes.I perfer to siphon it so I directly remove it from the tank.

To my way of thinking it is.
Of course there will be times you'll need to clean that wet/dry too.But thats as simple as mixing enough extra water for that,along with the display.

I also siphon stuff off the rocks, sand glass, etc. Its kinda fun - cleaning the glass is what i hate. Then i pour the new water in my sump and let it slowly fill the tank.

I always drain from my sump. That way it's easy to tell how much new water to add, and it doesn't expose my corals to air (even though they will be just fine if they are only exposed to air for a little while). It disturbs my fish less and I don't have to pick up a bunch of snails that drop off the glass afterwards. It also ensures that the new water gets gradually mixed into your main tank, if there are pH, temperature or salinity differences.

Dang bifferwine i think you were reading my mind on that one thats what i was thinking about with the slower water mix :) I think i will stick with my idea of the sump drain and fill thanks for all the input everyone now if i can just get back to sleep sometime LOL I have all this stuff going through my head and am ready to get started it keeping me awake :)

I think that would work! But syphoning your tank is very importent when it comes to testing your fishtank because it breaks down some of the debris!

Back