Quiet Overflows!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Do not say use a Bean Dennis!!!! Can't do that until one day when I build a 10 footer custom tank. By then you will have ironed out any bumps one may encounter.

Plus this really isn't actually about my overflows. Basically my tank is very, very quiet.

Anyway.....

So I am always reading about how to have quiet Overflows and quiet this and that.

In all honestly if I unplug my 2 skimmer pumps my tank seems almost silent. I can't hear any sounds coming from my dual durso overflos besides a minimal bubble of water if that and it is not constant. I am saying it is near dead silent.

Even when my sump socks are a new clean set they splash sound is faint at best.

The howling of the Skimmer is even dull and quiet but yeah you can hear it but if you were reading in the room or whatever you really barely notice it.

There is one tini, tiny thing that you can hear that drives me crazy. Not because I even notice it but because when the skimmer is not plugged in the tank seems dead silent.

This is the water coming out of the skimmer.

My only solution which seems to work in general was to put in a PVC elbow to the waters exit out of the skimmer and not have to going directly into the water but to release horizontally onto the body of the skimmer and some into the water.

This however effects the way I can set the skimmer gate for whatever reason even when it is not pointing at any upward angle but with that on you can hear a thing.

My skimmer outlet is but 1/2 inch out of the water as call for by the manufacturer and it skims very, very well it is just the splashing of the water that I hate and this same splashing leave salt on one door of my cabinet that has to be cleaned about every 3 months.

I was trying to come up with a way to tamp down the splashing without using the PVC elbow. Maybe something I can attach to the skimmers outlet that sits above the sump water level to diffuse the rush of water exiting to lower the volume of the splash.

I attached an idea I was tossing around.

Water-Thing by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ha well if you were in my house at the tank you probably would not even here the sound I am trying to eliminate but you know when you are there when it is really late it can be heard some and I hate it. So yeah you would have to be over the house really late to notice it.

I am being picky but right now I have nothing else to do with the tank haha.

Last edited:
Back