raccoon butterfly fish?

dwinzent

Reefing newb
I just bought a raccoon butterfly not even thinking but I just found they are not reef safe does this mean they would eat shrooms? it said soft corals also I wanted to get some nems eventually but I have heard they eat aptaisia but would they eat like a rbta or a gbta? right now the butterfly is only about 1 in

You are probably safe until it gets older. Some Butterflys will pick at any and all corals and some won't at all. Just depends on yours and your luck. Their mouths are made for getting into small tight places (like between polyps, etc).

alright thanks dcan i also have a question about behavior i have finally got all my LR in my tank and was looking forward to havin my fish swim through it and stuff but my clowns and my new butterfly just stay in the one corner that there is no rock in, why could this be my params are nitrate-5 nitrite-0 ammonia-0 and ph is about 8.1. but i have a scooter blenny and all my crabs/snails love the rock.

If you just added the Butterfly in the last day or two, don't panic. Just give them some time to all adjust and settle down and get comfortable.

alright i was just wondering cause my clowns have been doing it since i got the rock (a week or two ago) but it is probably just the quick change of environment.

i bought cycled rock from my lfs and had very little die off from transport. (they just wrap it with wet newspaper.) and my nitrate would have gone up if it wasnt cycled right? my nitrate has never been above 10 since cycle and i have never seen ammonia or nitrite it has always been 0 after cycle. my tank has been stable like that for about 4-5 months.

See if this helps

Nocturnal species that is usually in pairs or small groups in shallow reef flats of lagoon and seaward reefs to depths of over 30 m. Juvenile occurs among rocks of inner reef flats and in tide pools (Ref. 205). Benthopelagic (Ref. 58302). Adult feeds mainly on nudibranchs, tubeworm tentacles, and other benthic invertebrates, also feeds on algae and coral polyps. Oviparous (Ref. 205). Forms pairs during breeding (Ref. 205).
End quote

They are one of my favorite fish.But not going in my reef tank.

It's not odd that your clowns have found a spot and stuck to it. They are very territorial, and their territories are small, usually about a 6 inch radius. Very rarely will they leave that area once they've established it as their territory.

i had racoon butterfly just long enough to clean out aiptasia than i took it back to store cause it started on mushrooms after aiptasia was gone but each individual fish is different you could be lucky and get a good one.

well it is sort of odd because they usually would stay in the corner when the lights were on and as soon as they went out they would go and swim around in front of the oveflow. but recently they have been swimming around more together. i am thinking that they are both still juvinile so i think when they pair they will most likely claim a spot in the tank. also remember they are the only two fish in the whole tank.

Back