Rainbow Acan Stopped Opening

I feed it a mix of frozen mysis, brine, marine cusine and meaty formula 1 mix.

Thats the same thing I feed to all my corals. I mix it up every week - mysis this week - marine cuisine next week - then blood worms........ . Even feed them Emerald Entree sometimes (green veggies)

Thats the same thing I feed to all my corals. I mix it up every week - mysis this week - marine cuisine next week - then blood worms........ . Even feed them Emerald Entree sometimes (green veggies)

I don't alternate weekly. I just cut a little piece of each frozen cube and mix them all together. It's a buffet every time I feed.

Here are 2 pics of the rainbow acan. The first is the day I got it and boy was it bleached. The second pic is from this morning. It's opened back up and doing well. Look at the color comparson. Looks like it grew a bit as well.

Picture021-1.jpg

Picture038-2.jpg

I remember being quite mad when I first got the acan because it looked nothing like it did in the wysiwyg pic. Now that I've taken good care it's looking better than the original pic. The comparison pics reminded me about my original thoughts of if I got ripped off.

I bought an acan enchanita once for a really cheap price. I think it was less than $20 but can't remember for sure. But I knew it didn't look so great when I bought it. It was from the LFS. It turned into a really nice piece in just a few short months.

I bought an acan enchanita once for a really cheap price. I think it was less than $20 but can't remember for sure. But I knew it didn't look so great when I bought it. It was from the LFS. It turned into a really nice piece in just a few short months.

This might be a large explaination, but what is the difference between the acan types (lords, enchanta, etc)? Is micromussa a type of acan as well? Some acan look almost like chalices while others look like polyps.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't know exactly.

As far as I know acan lords are going to have individual polyps. Enchanita is going to look like a big fleshy chalice with symmetrical polyps but all grown together without any polyp separation. Micros are smaller and sometimes have more bumps and surface roughness but usually individual polyps that are not all grown together like an enchanita.

Chalice is a whole other ball game completely. Usually chalice will have smaller polyps and sometimes very random polyp growth instead of symmetrical as seen on acans.

I wish I knew more in-depth info about the different LPS corals, but I'm just too lazy to do the reading. :mrgreen:

Back