ranbeau

ranbeau

Reefing newb
Hi. I'm new to the site. Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have a few questions that maybe one or more of you can help me with. I don't understand the relationship between magnesium and calcium. My magnesium was down at about 1100, while my calcium was high (can't remember what reading). For 2 weeks I added Tailored Aquatics Magnesium daily, using even a little more than suggested. But my magnesium hasn't moved over that time, although the calcium has come down. Does the magnesium additive make the calcium go down before it brings the magnesium up. I'm finding it hard to get a definitive explanation of this relationship.
Although most of the coral seem to be doing very well, I have quite a bit of string algae. My phosphates were fairly high so, over the same time I have been treating the water with Phos-Guard (3 bags over 2 weeks) with minimal reduction of the phosphates. Don't know if there is a relationship between this and the earlier mentioned imbalance, or if reducing phosphates is just a slower process than I've been told.
And finally, does anyone know if the algae will die off once the phosphates are down or will I have to remove the algae myself? It's growing amongst some of the coral and is really hard to get at.
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.
Randy

Back