Rare reef fish stocking compilation

M3AN ONE

Reefing newb
Rare reef fish stocking compilation
I am looking for stocking ideas for my 150 gallon reef
Here is my current stock list that I plan on getting feel free to imput any ideas. I am looking for as many rare fish as possible.

1 Banana eel
3 Blotched anthias
5 lyretail anthias
1 Archilles something hybrid
1 Yellow mimic tang
1 Blue throad trigger
6 Clown fish blacks

The eel will eat other fish and isn't recommended for a community tank. The clowns and anthias would become an easy meal, I suspect.

As for clowns, usually having more than two in one tank results in fighting to the death. Stick with a pair of clowns.

I think the rest of the list is fine. :)

None of those are really "rare" reef fish. I'd worry that the achilles will kill the mimic tang, which is a much more passive acanthurus than the achilles. I'd choose a different type of tang to pair with the achilles than the mimic tang. What about a kole tang or purple tang? Both of those have the agressiveness to hold their own against the achilles.

I would only put one acanthurus in the tank, not two. If you do a gold rim, then don't do the mimic tang, and vice versa. They will fight and one will lose! There are plenty of cool tangs to choose from in the ctenochaetus or zebrasoma families that you could mix with an acanthurus :)

I concur with Fishy. I have two tangs in my 90, an acanthurus and a zebrasoma. There isn't any aggression now, but initially there were a few problems. I would highly recommend avoiding two acanthurus in a 150, especially if you are planning on housing an Achilles. They are some of the most aggressive acanthurus, and very delicate as well.

I would also skip the eel and the herd of clowns. Clowns just don't do well in groups larger than a pair. There are plenty of other rare fish out there, including some beautiful wrasses, dwarf angels, and dottybacks out there that would make beautiful additions to your tank!

Back