RAYRAY!This Is How It Works

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by reeffreak, May 19, 2007.

1. reeffreak

reeffreak

Ray this is how a overflow/sump works(Yote or anybody can help me out if I forget something)warning!!!!my set up is real snoozer,I like to keep it simple and convenient

The water flows through the gills/slot opening near the surface of the water.
    [​IMG]

Water travels thru the overflow tube into the back chamber...this is all done by gravity fed.The front and back side of the U tube is sermerge underwater.The green airline tube is to remove any trap air inside the U shape tube...this is accomplish by sucking the other end of the airline tube or by a aqualifter pump.
    [​IMG]

Here the water collects into the back chamber.the water sits slightly lower than the display tank which keeps the water flowing down the hoses to the sump.
    [​IMG]

Everyone runs there's different...here on mine,water trickles through 3 different trays(Prefilter,fine filter floss,carbon) to a rotating bio wheel below.I had plans on removing the wheel but since I haven't had trates/phosphate issues,it will be staying in.You can probably see my heater.There is room for other stuff of mine like skimmer(maybe incorate a small fuge) but I choose not to,don't understand why.:scratchch Once filtered the water returns to display by the water pump connected to the clear hose.
    [​IMG]

Finally water is returned to the display,on mine it happens to be a spray bar.
    [​IMG]

On a side note,while I was taking the pics,I was preparing my usual meal for the fish and coral.I only have 4 fish and quite a few corals.Good grief I have alot of food.Who here is obsess with making sure there fish/coral has a balance diet but yourself is eating double cheeseburgers and burrito supremes.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps...if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Yote I thought you were helping me out here.

reeffreak, May 19, 2007
    beetle69 and RAYRAY like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. reeffreak

RigoSharon LIVING REEFS INTERN

very educational freak..in my new set up im planing on having a sump...your tank doesnt end to amaze me!!...nice!!....about the food issue..good stuff you have there...lets put it this way..while my fish has caviar every day..somtimes i get 3 hot dogs a day...go figure!! heheheh..

RigoSharon, May 19, 2007
    reeffreak likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. reeffreak

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

You beat me to it Reef. lol.

yote, May 19, 2007
  4. reeffreak

Ray
    Here is the part of the overflow thats hangs inside the tank.
    [​IMG]
    Notice the slots? There so that you can get low enough in the water to keep it filled. without the worry of it siphoning out to much water if your pump quits.

The water goes from there via the U-tube into the back box
    [​IMG]
    Notice the pipe sticking up?That allows the water to flow down into the filter/sump.
    [​IMG]
    Mines just got one media tray.As the water flows through the filter media,it trickles down through the bio-balls into the sump area where my heater and skimmer at set up.You'll notice the skimmer on the right hand side of the sump.

yote, May 19, 2007
  5. reeffreak

Reef,if you'll notice:
    The water jugs are already out,lol.Those are my top off water jugs.I have the wife pick me up 22 gallons of RO water a week for water changes and top offs.
    My next 2 projects are an auto topoff and a fuge.
    well 3 projects an RO/DI system.

Now I gotta get,gotta go work the LFS for a wave maker today.
    Ray,or anybody else,,if any of this cunfusses ya,just lets us know and well try to straighten it out.

yote, May 19, 2007
  6. reeffreak

thanks for the pics yote...you guys are driving me close to buy one!!!...interesting set up yote...didnt your wife got pissed having the sump on the carpet??? mine would!! rigth now i could hear her yell in my mind!! hheheh

RigoSharon, May 19, 2007
  7. reeffreak

RAYRAY Tiny Tank Club A+ Member

Thanks Guys !!!! All Your Infor Is Great , And I See How It All Works Now!!! And I CanGet Rid Of My Hob Filter Once I Set This Up Right ??????

Last edited: May 19, 2007
    RAYRAY, May 19, 2007
  8. reeffreak

work today some overtime yote..see if you can get me a sump..hheheh..ill pay shipping..hheheh..

RigoSharon, May 19, 2007
  9. reeffreak

RAYRAY Tiny Tank Club A+ Member

Oh ????? One More Thing My Clown Doesn't Seem Interested In The Flake Food Any Longer. He Eats Some ...but Not Like He Was Eating .. Think I Have To Switch Right???? Hope He Is Ok. Seems To Be. He Isnt Acting Funny Like Swimming Crazy Or Breathing Hard. He Made A Cozy Home In One Of The Caves. I Almost Didnt Find Hime Last Night When I Was Checking On Him. My Testing Seems Ok Too. Ammonia =0 Nitrite=0 Nitrate Around 7-10 . Plan On Doing A Water Change Again On Weds.

RAYRAY, May 19, 2007
  10. reeffreak

i think that will replace your hob ray...im newbie on the sump subject..but ive seen some..and talked to guys that have it..with that and a good protein skimmer,,plus some turbo jets for current..that will be more than enough..

RigoSharon, May 19, 2007
    RAYRAY likes this.
  11. reeffreak

reduce feeding time for 2 times a day...frozen food is an excelent choice..since you have only one clown ..he doesnt have competition for food, so i guess hes getting more than enough..clowns only eats small portions...they spend the rest giving food to their hosts...

RigoSharon, May 19, 2007
  12. reeffreak

reeffreak

Yote thanks for the pics....Sometimes I feel I make things more confusing then it already is.So your going to work today..curious on what you will be bringing home tonight.Fuge and autotop off is a good idea,my plans is to have those in my new project.I'm still a little paranoid about a top off but I'll get over it.BTW,could you bring me a blue tort acro,jk.

Ray try some frozen food.Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef,Formula One and Mysis is good.Much better than the flake stuff.Yeah after you set up a sump you can do away with HOB filter.

Rigo,I can understand those dogs/cat lovers that pamper there pets.I may break down and buy my fish/coral the real caviar...Oyster eggs...its like 40 bucks for a tiny tub.

reeffreak, May 19, 2007
  13. reeffreak

Sorry Reef,were fresh out of the Blur Tort Acros.
    And,I didnt bring anything home tonight.well,unless you count some more filter media for my wet/dry.

Rigo.
    Reefs menu looks kinda like mine does,only I do have the DTs oyster eggs,along with DTs phytoplankton.Plus I have some reef bugs I need to try out.There supposed to hatch out in the tank and feed the corals just like in the ocean.

yote, May 20, 2007
  14. reeffreak

reeffreak

Yote how much are they asking for DT oyster eggs there and no don't give me the discount price that you get it for.

BTW,whats the reef bugs,I heard of it before but can't remember where?

No Blue Tort..u suck!!!:mrgreen:

Last edited: May 20, 2007
    reeffreak, May 20, 2007
  15. reeffreak

Reef,the DTs oyester eggs are 35 bucks per 1oz jar.
    The reef bugs are are one of Marc Weiss's products.There live eggs that you put in a cup of tank water and they hatch within about 30 minutes.Then you just pour them into the tank.There supposed to be a replication of natural marine snow.
    A 3oz box is supposed to supply 50 feeding to fully stocked 100 gallon reef tank.We sale that for 24.99 at the store.

yote, May 20, 2007
    reeffreak likes this.
  16. reeffreak

reeffreak

Thanks yote,I will check the LFS store the next time I go.The reef bugs sounds very interesting.Oyster eggs why so high...don't oysters lay millions of eggs at one time.If I bought some I would be so stingy,any eggs get sucked up the filter,I would be pissed!Ah well.I'll stick to my $5 cyclops freezer bar.

reeffreak, May 20, 2007
  17. reeffreak

Any time Reef.
    I have no idea why the oyster eggs are so high.But your only supposed to feed 1/5 of a teaspoon per 50 gallons of tank though,so a jar will go along ways.I bought mine back before thanksgiving and still have nearly a full jar.I do however turn my filter off when I feed.That way I dont get left over food caught in the media to rot and compromise water quality.
    I want to try the cyclops eze but Ive not found it in any of the local stores.

yote, May 20, 2007
  18. reeffreak

reeffreak

Make sure when you get cyclops get the red freezer bar and not the San Francisco Bay brown cyclops cubes.BTW,I only use it to target feed certain corals and let the fish eat any leftovers.There very,very small zooplankton food.

reeffreak, May 20, 2007
  19. reeffreak

Thanks for the info.
    I may have the wife order me some,if I cant get Bermuda to order some for the store.

yote, May 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question