rbta problems

raggedreef

Reefing newb
I had gotten an rbta a few months ago and it started off doing very well. It was colorful and accepted any foods. I then added a maroon clown to host it after the rbta was in for about a month or so. It was a very quick partnership and everyone seemed happy for a couple of weeks. Then the rbta tentacles shriveled up very small and turned a dark brown. It stayed closed for a couple of days and when it finally opened back up it was very white and had almost no tentacles. I put the clown into my refugium to give the anemone a break but after a couple of weeks it is still very white and has very few tentacles that food will not stick to. In order to feed it I hold a small silverside chunk on its mouth until it closes around it. My tank parameters have stayed normal and I have led lights that were home made and I feel are more than enough wattage. Any ideas or suggestions on what could be happening?

If you really have enough lighting and your water quality is good, then there isn't much you can do. Sounds like it's time to take it out.

The troops are gonna ask for a full list of tank parameters so I'd suggest posting them ;)

As a owner of a small tank like that myself I would guess it is a water quality issue (especially with a 6 month old tank). I have about 2 quarts of evaporation daily and with the tank being so little even that can affect salinity and other qualities. Homemade LED lights are hard to judge because different LED diodes have such different qualities. A specific LED could appear bright but disperse quickly in the water.

Just a couple of thoughts.

An anemone can bleach in a very short time however getting it's zooxanthellae can take considerably longer even as much as a year. I would continue to keep your water quality good and continue feeding it every 2-3 days. Without the zooxanthellae, it'll need the supplemental feedings to keep it alive.

Back