RE: Ich infected, quarantine tank needed

mojuave

Reefing newb
This is a chance to finish the thread and help a little. Start off after reading all the posts and comments I may be overcrowded. I have a 125 gallon with 2 spotted cardinals, 2 Banggai Cardinal, Naso Tang, Yellow Tang, Clarkie Clown, Percula Clownfish, Black & White Percula Clownfish. Blue Manderin, Flame Angelfish, 2 3 Stripe Damsels, Coral Banded Shrimp an a Dartfish. Now my father's tank was dying off we couldnt control a 20 gallon successfully so we upgraded him to a Red Sea 34 gallon self contained tank (which is cycling now) so from his tank 2 Yellowtail damsels and another grey colored damsel I'm unsure which breed.

My Naso Tang(about 7.5") and my Flame Angelfish are showing what I think is ICH. Now the Flame Angel is showing no stress at all been in tank for about a month, the Naso is favoring one dorsal fin and rarely using it to swim, he's been in for 5 days. I don't have a QT to treat but after reading I don't know if it'll help. Now all seem happy and healthy and eating great(2-3 times a day) I feed a variety of mysis, brine, seaweed slabs, prime reef flakes, formula one pellets, formula 2 pellets and omega one flakes. Oh also added some live plants that the tangs and the angelfish picks on along with some mysid shrimp(they're all having an issue catching but my clarkie loves chasing them.

Anyway back to ICH, I do have a QT can't afford big enough one for all fish. Should I move some fish, can it wait a little while until my dad's tank is ready? BTW parameters are 1.024 salinity, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, maybe 0.5 - 1.0 nitrates with PH at 8.0 respectivly.

Attachments

• 4-D9EB20B9-105825-800.jpg
    4-D9EB20B9-105825-800.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,438
  • 4-450825E7-109185-800.jpg
    4-450825E7-109185-800.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,569
Re: Ich infected, quarantine tank needed

If you just treat some of you fish, as soon as you put them back in the tank, they will contract ich again. ALL fish need to be treated for a minimum of 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite in the DT.

I know and I can't afford a qt big enough or a qt for my corals and copper the dt. My black & white clown had it when I first put in tank but it went away. If my fish are healthy will it go away

It will, but they will always have it.

NEVER put copper in the DT. Even after doing water changes, the copper left over could kill all the corals once you put them back in the tank.

Do not Dose copper in your DT! If you do that, you'll never be able to have corals or inverts in your tank again. If you keep your fish stress free the visible ich will go away on its own.

That's what I was thinking because it went away from clown but I know I'll always have it from reading previous article. I guess my main question is "is my fish going to die? Should I eliminate some fish? Am I overcrowded and caused this?"

There is a 150 listed for best offer on a local Facebook group. It includes a stand. If you're interested, send me a message and I'll dig up the link.

Hello everyone I'm in need for help . I have a 75gal saltwater aquarium and had one one domino damselfish, one coral beauty, one flame angel and 4 clownish , and about 3 corals and 2 mushrooms, the flame angel a started getting white spots and then the other fish follow, I started doing the Hyposalinity about 2 weeks ago and my coral beauty died first and then the Domino and then the flame angel. Now i only have the 4 clownfish. An they have been in quarantine since i started the Hyposalinity . But i don't see no change and one of my clown fish i thinks is going to died soon. Is there any suggestion to what other things i can try. I really want to save my clownfish they were the first i purchase.

Welcome to the site!

How low did you make the salinity and how fast did you lower it (or were they drip acclimated into there)? To be effective, it should be 1.009. And I've also heard if you lower it too slow, the ich can actually adjust and survive. Besides, I THINK that it's ok to lower salinity quickly, but not ok to raise more than .001/day.

Also, are the fish eating? If they are, then I wouldn't worry; eventually they'll start to get better.

Welcome to the site!

How low did you make the salinity and how fast did you lower it (or were they drip acclimated into there)? To be effective, it should be 1.009. And I've also heard if you lower it too slow, the ich can actually adjust and survive. Besides, I THINK that it's ok to lower salinity quickly, but not ok to raise more than .001/day.

Also, are the fish eating? If they are, then I wouldn't worry; eventually they'll start to get better.

Thanks for the help i have lower the salt level to 1.20, they are eating . i lower the salt not that much in two days and i have try lowering the level every 48 hrs .

I don't know how fast you can lower salt safely, but I know if you do it too slow, the ich will just adapt. Someone else will chime in with more scientific advice :D

When I got a hippo covered with ich, I merely drip acclimated him into my qt (which had a salinity level of 1.009). He survived the process, however, he died because I never could get him to eat, so he starved....but the visible ich was gone after a week :D

Back