Re-sealing Large Aquarium

hotimportknight

New! Big Tank Club!
Sorry I've been gone for so long, it's been a very hectic last few months. Graduating with my 2 year degree, getting ready to move away from my home town, finals, papers, projects, ah!
But to the point. My friend that started a 75g saltwater mixed some reef mostly fish a little bit after I did decided to upgrade, he found a 300 gallon home made glass aquarium and picked it up for 300$. He got it home and cleaned it up, tested it for leaks and nothing. After a day or 2 they filled it up over half way and it started to drip. So now he has to strip the entire bottom, which is made of something like wood, fiberglass and pond liner I think, I haven't inspected it yet my self. I might go over tonight and get some pictures, i only saw it for a few minutes today. This thing is HUGE 8ftx?x?. The main question is how would you guys go about stopping a leak on a home made glass aquarium? I know gooping lots of sealant on it wont work, that never does. I'm thinking strip the entire thing down and use a good caulk gun style aquarium silicone and set a SOLID bead along the entire thing? Does anyone else have any ideas? Please let me know, were going to work on it tonight possibly.

I would remove one joint at a time and a little from the adjoining joints tape the area you want silicone( say1/2" from the joint) with good 3M painters tape( automotive blue vinyl stuff) run a nice thick even bead and use a dowel rod( finger if you dont care how it looks) to push it in to the joint. Thats the way I would do it FWIW.

got some Caulk at my Lfs. Rediculusly priced. 10 bucks a tube and it only did my 30 gallon. i just took a razor and stripped EVERYTHING. it held together and i just ran a nice bead with my finger. but go to home Depot and get the Caulk that is aquaroium safe. Only a few dollars. alot cheaper. It worked dout well for me

Sorry I've been gone for so long, it's been a very hectic last few months. Graduating with my 2 year degree, getting ready to move away from my home town, finals, papers, projects, ah!
But to the point. My friend that started a 75g saltwater mixed some reef mostly fish a little bit after I did decided to upgrade, he found a 300 gallon home made glass aquarium and picked it up for 300$. He got it home and cleaned it up, tested it for leaks and nothing. After a day or 2 they filled it up over half way and it started to drip. So now he has to strip the entire bottom, which is made of something like wood, fiberglass and pond liner I think, I haven't inspected it yet my self. I might go over tonight and get some pictures, i only saw it for a few minutes today. This thing is HUGE 8ftx?x?. The main question is how would you guys go about stopping a leak on a home made glass aquarium? I know gooping lots of sealant on it wont work, that never does. I'm thinking strip the entire thing down and use a good caulk gun style aquarium silicone and set a SOLID bead along the entire thing? Does anyone else have any ideas? Please let me know, were going to work on it tonight possibly.
What parts of the tank are glass and what parts are not? Is it a tank with only a front glass? Most home made large tanks are epoxy paint over plywood, and only the front panel is glass. I have not heard of using pond liners in conjunction with (a) glass panel(s). GARF's home site has a link to an onsite set of plans and directions for a plywood tank with glass front panel. http://www.garf.org/ Go to their DIY section and click on tank plans. That will take you to a page where you type in dimensions. Just punch in a small tanks dimensions, like 24 x 24 x 24 and it wil put up a page with a cut list, materials list, and directions. The directions should provide the information you need to repair your tank.

Last edited:
The tank is all glass except the bottom. My friends out of town for memorial weekend so we haven't gotten to work on it yet. I'll get some pictures sometime this week.

Back