Re-sealing used aquarium

Pterois

Reefing newb
Well, it's almost time to setup the 135! I've just acquired my MH light kit, non-live rock, and sand. I'm ready to startup except I think I should re-seal it. It was purchased in January, and has been in the crate in the garage since then.

I want to run silicone over the entire inside and wondered if I needed to remove the old silicone first or can I just silicone over what's there.

Thanks for your input.

Angela

Imho

I don't think it needs to be re-sealed. I had a 110 gallon tank that sat for three years in the crate, between moves. I took it out, set on the patio and filled with water to test for leaks, just in case. Didn't have a bit of a problem, and it has been in my office filled with fish for about 5 years now.

Might save you some work. Just test it for leaks someplace you can afford to have water spill out, in case it leaks.

agree, if the aquarium was purchased new it should be ok without resealing, however, if you are concerned place on flat surface and fill to check. as for removing the old depends. if you want to just add additional dont remove old, on the other hand if you want to fully reseal from inside and if there are mega bubble lines in the original, then removal may be the way to go, but , i personally dont feel you need to do anything if the seals all look good and the silicon is somewhat soft to the touch/pressure. if brittle and non giving then remove and reseal, otherwise just seal over. hope something here helps.

Thanks for your input. It's had 2 previous owners. One was freshwater; then the 2nd was marine.

I think I'll take one corner at a time and replace the old for my piece of mind. It's made with the thickest glass. One hundred thirty five gallons is alot of water to spill on hubby's hardwood floors.

Expect alot of pics here with progress. :^:

Angela

If you replace it, then you need to remove the old first.

As to weather it needs it or not, i'll let you decide.

but a razor blade scrapper and a couple days it doesn't take that long for piece of mind.

Back