Reactors / Dosers

Kizmar

#derpface
So, as part of my ongoing project to stabalize my pet water that happens to have fish and coral in it, I'm building out a new, much larger sump system (thanks to d2mini for the road map). :D

I'm trying to get a good understanding of dosers vs. / with reactors, and which reactors to use.

I'd like to build out the plumbing so that I have feeds for any reactors that I might want to add in the near or far future. The corals in my tank are small now, but I want to make sure I have everything ready to rock when they really start pulling nutrients out of the water.

Current Maintenance

That in mind...
  • Would it make sense for me to run a PhosBan or GFO reactor? Is there a difference between the the way these bind and remove phosphates from the water? Are they essentially the same thing? I'm thinking a GFO / PhosBan reactor will be immediate when I switch to the new sump.
  • Looking at d2mini's setup pics... I'm wondering if I should also make use of a carbon reactor? What's the benefit of running carbon in a reef tank?
  • Calcium reactors? What are the decision factors between running a 2-part / kalkwasser doser vs. a calcium reactor? Would you use both?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that reactors can be used for different things. I have two of the Phosban reactors. I run GFO in one and Carbon in the other whenever I feel its needed. I keep water running through them all the time even if there is no media in them. Unless you need to run multiple items all the time, there is no reason to have more than one or two reactors. Just my Opinion.

Back