really thay bad??

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
Well i went to my LFS yesterday with no intention to buy anything, but just look what they got in (they get new stuff in tuesdays), and i got to talking to the "manager" of the fish department there. If you guys remember seeing one of my posts where this same guy was telling me id be fine with triggers/tangs in my 40gal, its the same guy. Only this time, after i told him what all i had in my tank now he started ripping into me that i was so SUPER overstocked, which has me wondering if this guy is bipolar or something, so i decided to ask on here and see what you guys think...

Right now i have: 1royal gramma, 1 sixline, 1 coral beauty and 1 ribbon eel.

Is this that terribly super overstocked? I am pretty good at water changes and maintenance, have an Octopus hob skimmer that works like a beast and i dont feed too much in order to keep nitrates down. What are your thoughts? Am i overstocked? At my limit?

Thanks

That doesnt sound bad at all. I had to look up the eel to see what size tank but they say but i only found something where it said it didnt take much space so It looks like it should be fine.

alright good i wanna make a somewhat hospitable home for those fish... I've been wanting to get a fire shrimp lately but have been hesitant to get a $30 shrimp in case my eel develops a taste for shrimp meat... i have 2 peppermints in there with him and they have been fine so far, i dont think he could swallow the peppermints let alone a Fire shrimp since they tend to be bigger, but could he go after it and injure it by biting it?

Sounds good to me. Ihave a 35 gallon w 1 tomato clown, 2 chromis, 1 bullet goby. They seem ok. The tomato gets a little grummy sometimes !!

You're doing good man. Get the fire shrimp if you want, my ornamental crustaceans were safe with my blue ribbon eel. Your stocking level is fine too. Some store employees REALLY have no idea what they're doing a lot of the time. Like advising a trigger for a 40g. Or in my case once, a stingray for a 55g loaded with live rock.

Your fine as long as you keep up with water changes. You'll be the first to know when your overstocked. I would get the fire shrimp if you really want one. It won't even add to your bioload.

Everyone's given good advice. I only want to add that you may want to find another LFS, if there's anything available in your area (you may have covered that, but I don't remember seeing it).

unfortunately thats the only one, aside from PetCo and they have like 4 saltwater tanks full of ich... i think ill get the fire shrimp, ill just have to make sure its a good sized one

Yep, I had 13 fish in a 55. Including three tangs!! Hahaha. Back when I was a lil' ol' Noob. But they were small, and I quickly upgraded to a 240, so it all worked out okay!

i also had a question about sand sifting, right now i have nothing in the tank that sifts sand... so i was gonna see how important it is to have something sift the sand. And if its important, should i go with some kind of goby or a star?

Nassarius snails as stated are great. I have two fighting conches and a queen conch, they all turn the sand over amazingly well. DONT get a sand sifting star, worst mistake ive made in my tank yet.

Back