Reclaimed my 45G reef

eugenereefer

Reefing newb
I started dabbling in reef keeping around 2000. 1st tank was a 29G with a large sand base and 35 or so lbs of live rock. 4 VHOs. 1 Emperor 280 and a DIY skimmer (temporarely). Eventually I had a 10G nano for mushroom corals. Then a 20L Nano Reef. I have always had success with a large sand bed + lots of live rock and frequent water changes. To make a long story short these tanks were combined into a 45G. This tank had been running for 8 months when I sold it to my roommate (I was moving out of state). Now almost 2 yrs later I saw the tank in very rough shape poor lighting etc...

I got the tank back and here is how it sits now.
4-6 inch sand bed (mixed sizes)
at least 50 lbs of live rock
2- emperor bio wheel 280s
1-rio 800 (new)
1-rio 600 (new)
1-unknown powerhead
1-100w Ebo heater
1-150w Ebo heater
2- 10,000k 21w T5s (new)
2- True 03 Atinic T5s (new)

I only plan on doing a community reef and some soft corals. I have 10 small to med fish, 4 Shrimp, 20-30 snails and crabs. an anemone and a few mushrooms. any tips would be helpful. I have been out of the loop for a while. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the reefs.Glad your getting back into reefing,if you have any questions just post em and we'll do our best to answer them.

When I first started in the hobby(same time as you)I thought a DSB was the way to go.I was actually doing a plenum with eggcrate,wire mesh,and different size grains of sand.The only benefit I got out of it was corralline grew mad fast.It also looked ugly as all get out being so deep.I would go with a 2-3 inch bed instead,but thats just me.If you use the Emperor make sure you clean the wheels or don't use them at all.Those wheels can become a nitrate/phosphate sponge.

Good Luck...sounds like your on the right track.

ps...not trying to be rude but 10 fishes in a 45gal might be pushing it.

Back