reclusive goby - starvation risk?

cirrus

Fish > Homework
Hi again,

We're having some trouble with a particularly reclusive zebra bar goby that we bought about two weeks ago. At first its only tank-mate other than the CUC was a yellowtail damsel what was sold to us as a chromis (we're new to this, we didn't realize). Though it hid immediately on release, after four days or so it began to come out to feed during the day, just for a few minutes at a time.

Abruptly, however, it stopped appearing. In doing research I realized the "chromis" was actually a damsel and promptly took it back to the LFS and replaced it with a firefish and a (real) chromis, hoping that that would coax it out, but no such luck. As of today it's been over a week since we saw the goby.

I've read in some forums about fish that are so timid that they refuse to feed and end up starving to death. Is our goby at risk for that? If it is, is there something I can
do?

Thanks!

p.s. We didn't have an aquarium top for a while, but I've checked all over the ground since, and saw no dead fish. In the tank, ammonia/NO2/N03 have been completely stable, no spikes.There's nothing else in the tank that would have been able to eat it either.

Last edited:
I suppose it's possible that the goby is in there still and you just can't locate it...But if it's not coming out to eat, I have doubts that it's living after a week or two of not eating.

On the other hand, you have all kinds of critters in that tank that are hiding in the rocks that you never see that will dispose of a dead fish...So there's a very good chance that it's been disposed of already.

Those fish should be kept in pairs or groups. It may not be coming out because it's scared of being alone, and they are not usually solitary fish.

We just moved the rock we thought he was under, and it appeared! So it's in there. As far as it not being a solitary fish, is there any way we could pair it with another? Maybe if we put it in quarantine for a while and then re-introduced it with a second goby?

Us too! We were so happy when he came out! :D

I'll try to find another one to add, thanks for the advice!

First off, thanks everyone for all of the advice, I really appreciate it. I love keeping the tank, but it can be kind of stressful at times, as I'm sure you all know.

Second, I have a follow-up question about stocking limits. Right now we have a 40 gallon long with:

3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis
1 Firefish
1 Disappearing Zebra Goby
+ CUC (nassasrius, turbos, a cowry, some crabs)

My housemates would really like to add a mated pair of black clownfish that they've got down at our LFC, but I feel like we're at our stocking limit for now, especially since we have what you could call a "minimalist" aquascape. I do keep close track of the water quality though, and so far we haven't had any problems (consistently over two weeks: 0 Ammo/0 NO2/<.20 NO3). For filtration there's about:

30 lbs live rock
6lbs live sand
Magnum 350 Canister Filter (Washed weekly/Replaced Monthly)
Seaclone Protein Skimmer

What do you think? Could we add the clowns? If I did I think I'd also add more live rock to give them some more places to hide.

I would add some dry rock your tank and i think could keep those clowns. But of course keep and eye on your parameters and if your nitrates start climbing or you start seeing algae i would get a better skimmer, clean your filter more frequently and increase your water changes.

But i wouldnt add any more fish after the clowns.

Back