Recommend a Digital Test Kit?

istrahd

Reefing newb
I have an API SW Master Test Kit, which really doesn't test everything needed to monitor & maintain a healthy reef. It only tests High Range pH (7.6-8.8 or so) Nitrates, Nitrites & Ammonia.

I have trouble reading the color charts vs. the color of the liquid in the test tube. Direct Sunlight makes it easier than fluorescent lighting... No matter what light source I use, I still can't get a DEFINITE reading... it always seems to be in between different readings.

I would like a Digital test kit that uses probes that sit in the water. and gives clears, easy to read levels of what is in my water. I do not want to kill my critters because I couldn't tell what shade of purple (or whatever color) something really is.

If you use a Digital Test Kit, please let me know what you think of it & what it tests, what you wish was better or different about it. I am looking around the web but would prefer the opinions of people who actually use the products, not fake reviews written by the sales staff of a sales website or manufacturer's exaggerated claims.

Thanks in advance,

I, Strahd

There are no probes that will constantly measure your parameters for you except pH and ORP. There are electronic testers for other things but you still have to take small samples of water to test. Plus, you have to buy each test individually and they usually start around $150 a piece.

The only digital testers I have found besides the pH & ORP have been single parameter tests averaging around $150 per unit. I was hoping to find something to test the main parameters reefers need to keep an eye on but it seems no one produces them, except a few Lab Grade Test Kits which run around $1,000. I was hopeful someone may know of something better than the single units or the $1K Lab units...

I have found countless threads of people looking for something similar to what I want but no good answers... It seems someone would come up with a test unit for reef tanks as there seems to be a market for it... Plenty of folks wanting something like this.

Anyhow, since there does not seem to be a digital test kit out there, is there anything more reliable / easier to read than the color changing kits?

Over time, I will probably end up buying the single parameter digital test kits. I'll be pouring money in my tank anyway, may as well as spend part of it on quality testing equipment.

I use the Hanna photometers for my phosphates , dkH , and calcium. I really like them , and they are super easy to use IMO. Some people have had issues with the calcium version , but mine reads really close to what I get with a salifert kit . I paid around $50 for each one new .

I use the Hanna photometers for my phosphates , dkH , and calcium. I really like them , and they are super easy to use IMO. Some people have had issues with the calcium version , but mine reads really close to what I get with a salifert kit . I paid around $50 for each one new .

Where did you purchase them? Online? Locally? If Online, Do you have a link to the site? You can PM me if you don't want to "advertise" for them.

I would really like to get a decent set of digital test equipment at as good of a price as possible, of course... LOL all my money goes to my tank...Any savings would be great!

Thanks for your reply, BTW!

Probes and a controller for ph, temp, salinity and orp.
Hanna checker for phosphates and Alk. $50 each.
Red Sea Pro test kit for calcium and magnesium.

Where did you purchase them? Online? Locally? If Online, Do you have a link to the site? You can PM me if you don't want to "advertise" for them.

I would really like to get a decent set of digital test equipment at as good of a price as possible, of course... LOL all my money goes to my tank...Any savings would be great!

Thanks for your reply, BTW!

Here ya go !!

Testing Equipment

Back