Recommended amount of PH

poolshark181

Reefing newb
ok, in my 28 gal, i only have one ph right now, i know it's not enough. however, im ordering some mj's from premiumaquatics, and id like to know just how many i should be ordering. im removing the one i have now and returning it to walmart ( i hate its build quality) anyway, im thinking 2 mp600's at opposite ends of the tank, one higher than the other, which is pointed to the surface to cause agitation, and one at the bottom, pointed at the middle to promote water flow behind the rock. around it to the front, essentially creating a whirl around the tank. should i have another one? are these sound ideas? am i just a noob? =]

yeah i went out and had three for my 30 at one point, but they werent very strong at all, now i just have two

I would look into those Koralias or if you have money to spare those Tunze Nanostreams.The flow is way better than the narrow stream powerheads produce.Personally,I would never go back to them.Two K1's or one K2 will put out tons of flow in a 28.

ok, if and when i get an aquac skimmer, it needs a mj1200 ph to power it. does that count as a powerhead? or should i have the mj1200 and the two mj600?

I would still have two other power heads. In my 30 reef I have a HOB filter, skimmer 1 MJ 1200 and 1 aquaclear 4000 which gives 365 GPH and I think the flow is about perfect.

people don't normally count the skimmer. it's hard to calculate just how much flow that comes out of one. i'm with reeffreak on the koralia's. i have 2 #1's in my 55 and i'm pretty happy with the flow. if i went ahead and splurged for the #2's i would have been happier.
here's the video that i posted. it will give you an idea of how well they flow.
YouTube - aquarium

If you had your skimmer full throttle every day I would count it. But, then you would have to top off your water and empty your collection cup every hour.

I wouldn't count the skimmer either. I guess you could always just use the two and wait and see what happens with your algae growth. If start getting a butt load of algae then you don't have enough water movement.

Back