Recommended Lighting for a Macroalgae DT?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I just recently set up a new 47 gallon aquarium that I would like to turn into a macroalgae tank, but I haven't chosen what lights to run on the aquarium yet. I've been looking at led fixtures. I thought about doing a DIY led, but I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather just buy one I think. I was looking to find a fixture that was $350 or less (preferably less). While I want the tank to mainly be a macroalgae tank, I thought it would be cool to try my hand at keeping an anemone and a clam in the aquarium down the road. I realize that macroalgae and anemones and clams require very different lighting spectrums and intensities, which could make things difficult. Any suggestions?

I've been looking into the Ecoray 60D fixture (I like how they turned out on Winnie's tank :Cheers:). However, I'm worried that the light spectrum and the light intensity may be too much for macroalgae. I've read that the lights were so strong that in some cases corals started bleaching. Are led fixtures something that I should even be considering for a macroalgae tank?

A guy near me has macro algae tank with the AI leds, but a part of me does wonder if they would grow much better if he had different lights.

I would take a little time to research what spectrum of light the clams/nems and macroalgaes grow best under and then compare that what the different LED lights put out, and i would also check out t5 lighting. I kinda think the t5's would put out a wider range of wavelenghts to better meet the needs of the different animals.

The AI lights are out of my price range sadly. They look awesome, though!

It does seem like T5s would be best in this situation. It's a shame though because the leds look so cool and save you money (in the long run that is)! :( I've read that macroalgae prefers around 6500K. I don't know about anemones and clams, though. I haven't done my research on them since they'd be further down the road in my tank's future.

Back