recommended water turnover rate for 135g

ronboy

Reefing newb
i keep getting all sorts of crazy answer's.like someone told me that 6oo gph is more than enough.....lol,i know better than that?so what would be the ideal gph?

i have frogspawns,torch,xenia,hammers...ect

Rumor has it is that the recommendation is 10X for fish only, 20X for fish and mixed corals and 30X for SPS. It really depends on the quality of your circulation. You want no dead spots where detritus will settle and putrefy and support algae. Also with coral the flow is needed to keep the nutrients accessible to them and to remove their waste products and to keep well oxygenated a water around them. I consider the above recommendations a minimum though and circulate more than these amounts. Seems every few years the amount of circulation recommended increases. It is not uncommon at all for Fraggers and people housing mainly SPS corals to circulate at 50X to 60X. I am presently circulating an amount between those last to amounts for SPS.

also keep in mind that flow rates lower than 20x have worked just fine for people with SPS. Every tank is different and one thing that may work for someone may not work for someone else. like Fatman said i think the quality of the circulations helps alot.

A good flow rate might be 3 powerheads that each produce 1000gph of flow per hour. Lots of flow is a good thing and it is not something that should be skimped on. It also keeps detritus off the rocks and moves food around for coral and such.

i just got a new stand and had to move the tank,so i re-did my plumbing.i have 1" 1/2 pvc now so my sump return is about 600 gph,then i have 2rio 1400's.would that be ideal or maybe little more"before i re-did the pvc i was only at 350 gph"

The Rio's are 400 gph each, plus the 600, therefore 1400 gph. That is just above the bottom end 10X flow for fish. With coral some more circulation would be better. I would recommend that you add two Korali 3's or their equivalent. With the two Koralkis 3's you would just over 20X flow, which is about right for a fish/coral mix, if the corals are of mixed types and not predominantly SPS corals. If you are considering predomainantlt SPS I would reccomend using two Korali 4's which would put you just under 30X flow.

wow so i need more....ok.no i dont have sps,actually i have a long way to go to really call it a reef....but im gettin there.ebay would have those or is there another place i should look online? i really appreciate your help,.....thanks

If I understand this right to get the circulation rate you add up all your powerheads plus the pump. I thought that you loose some gph from your pump. Also do you include your sump in the calculations?

you loose GPH from head pressure some pumps pump 1200gph but with a 4ft lift they only put out 900gph so your tank would be getting 900gph from the pump not 1200gph. then you add all the other pump calcs in and there you go. you just have to figure out the distance from the pump to the return in your tank. then look your pump up and check to see the stats of it.

yea i did loose some gph from pump return,i went to RC and used the head loss calculator and with the plumbing i have and with a mag 9 im at 565.i have a mag 24 but it is insanly loud.it almost sounds like a dishwasher.so i dont use it.thanks again to everybody helping me>

wow so i need more....ok.no i dont have sps,actually i have a long way to go to really call it a reef....but im gettin there.ebay would have those or is there another place i should look online? i really appreciate your help,.....thanks

This is as good a site as any for Koralia pumps. I use Marine Depot regularly and I am satisfied with their services and prices for most items , and in genearl they back up the products they see as well as selling mostly middle line and upper end products.

:bounce:http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searc...pplies___Powerheads-Fixed_Flowrate_Pumps.html :^:

Last edited:
ive tried everything...i even put it in a acrylic box and filled it with sand.....i think something is wrong with it,i know for what they cost new there is no way it can be that loud...

I bought one mag drive brand pump once and never again will I buy another. I actually threw it away without even considering keeping it as any type of back up pump.

It was over priced, noisy, ran hot and heated the water noticeably, it leaked and it did not pump its rated value at any head height.

Back