Red algae care same as diatoms?

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
my tank is still showing some signs of the brown diatom variety on the glass that easily brushes off, but the sand now had a crimson red color patch that appears to be spreading slightly. It doesn't not appear to be "jelly like", but when I turkey baster it it seems to have some clumps to it that stick together. Anything different I need to do than what I did for the diatoms?

Run some phosphate remover like Phosban and get some sand stirrers like nassarius,queen conches,cerith snails.Nothing I know will consume cyano so keep doing regular water changes and things will slowly get better.You can reduce the lighting period while you are having an outbreak if you don't have any light demanding corals.Even having the lights off a few days won't hurt the corals any.Remember,if you don't remove the nutrient than the cyano will come right back.

Oh and one more thing(before Biff jumps in).Feed only frozen foods because flakes and pellets leads to phosphate problems.

If you can turn part of your lights on at a time instead of all at once it might be helpful to know that lights in the frequency range of actinic (420 to 430 nm) will not support cyano algae growth. Yet the lights are adequate for maintaining coral health and growth as well as viewing. You might want to consider adjusting so that your actinic are on by themselves for longer periods of time and your other lights for shorter periods of time. Something like 3 hours just actinic, then six hours all lights, followed by 3 hours of just actinic lights.

Back