Red Algae...It's Driving Me Crazy!!

Jenna09

Reefing newb
I cannot seem to win when it comes to algae. I had a horrible cases of green hair algae that I finally got under control about 2-3 years ago.

Now I have a case of red algae. I wouldnt say it is slime algae but more like a velvet red algae. It grows on the rocks and the sand. It grows over my green star ployps. I suck tons of it out every water change but it is growing so fast I cannot keep up with it let alone get rid of it all.

Some of it comes off the rocks easy with other rocks cannot be cleaned off at all!

I bought snails and hermit crabs to try and fix this problem. The snails eat the algae but not fast enough to get rid of it all!!

Any suggestions on how I can get rid of this red algae? My LFS told me to use this red slime algae remover and I am hesitant on using chemicals in my tank!!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jenna

Sounds Like Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria). Red Slime Remover is Needed. Their are a Bunch of Post on the site about that Junk.

Good Luck and Keep Suckin it out

I think Ninja Spear meant Red Slime Remover is NOT needed. I would only use that as a last resort -- some people have had their tanks crash because of it.

Do you have enough flow in your tank? Usually increasing flow will really help with the red slime algae.

As for the velvety stuff, that's not red slime. I'm not quite sure what that is, but I have a ton of that stuff on the rocks in my tank too. It's soft and fuzzy, and doesn't come off the rocks...

Eww, Actually I have Used Red Slime Remover and had Great Luck (multiple times, I like it). I have always Done water changes about 48-36 Hours later and had Great Results with Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria) and the Velvety looking Stuff that Encrust softcorals and rocks.
This Last Go around I bought some Bigger In tank Pumps and got the water Moving more, that seems to help a lot. But you got to get rid of the algae one way or another.

The Sucking Comment is Directed to Suck as Much of the Stuff out of the tank before hand.

Don't get me started on algae! *L* But Biff's right, try to increase or change your flow. Critters can help clean it up, but won't stop the algae at its source, which is usually nutrients of one kind or another. If you've battled algae before, then you know all about overfeeding, old lights, poor flow, and poor water all being contributing factors to algae outbreaks.

As for the sand, you need to turn it over, either manually, or with a critter, like sand sifting stars, nassarius snails, or, my personal favorite, sleeper gobies. The Diamond is a particularly hard worker at moving the sand.

As for the rocks, continue as much manual removal as possible. An urchin can help scrub it clean, but they can also be clumsy and knock over your corals. Sea Hares are veritable COWS when it comes to algae, but are sensitive to nitrates and salinity changes.

Not sure either of those critters will go near the red stuff though. Again, try to find the source. Have you had a fish die recently? When was your last water change? Do you use only RO/DI water, and if so, what's your recent TDS reading? You may need to replace your filter cartridges, or your lights (old bulbs cause a shift in the color spectrum). So on and so on. Finding the source is key to being rid of nuisance algae!!

My lights are new (Dec 29 2009) and I am believe I have a good amount of flow in my tank. As for water parameters they are good and stable.

I did have a bunch of fish deaths back in Dec/Jan and that caused an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spike but was brought under control within 24 hours. My salinity was way too high at that time but is now currently at 1.024 and has been that way since I had all of the deaths.

I am doing 20% water changes ever 10 days.

I would describe this algae as being more like a blanket. If I let it grow on the sand I can actually grab a corner of it with my tongs and lift it right off the sand in one piece.

I use tap water. A friend of mine is supposed to be coming over to test it to see if I should go with the RO/DI water. He says that I should remove my filter altogether because I dont need it and he believes that is what is causing the algae growth.

I will try changing my direction of water flow and keep manually removing the algae. I will also pick up a goby and some more snails.

Thanks
Jenna

You should definitely go with RO DI water. It will fix alot of problems. It could be that you're dealing with dinoflagellates. what are your ph levels?

PH is at 8.0.

I have apparently been out of the loop for awhile when it comes to saltwater reef systems. Since I have joined this site I have been learning a lot of new (at least new to me) things that I think will help me out.

I will investigate about this RO/DI water.

Jenna

You'll want to get that PH up too, should be between 8.2 and 8.4. A buffer will help you get it up a little. Most algaes don't like higher PH levels.

Ok I have the PH buffer but my LFS told me that my PH was fine at that level so I didnt change it.

I didnt know about algae not liking higher PH.

Thanks!
Jenna

PH is at 8.0.

I have apparently been out of the loop for awhile when it comes to saltwater reef systems. Since I have joined this site I have been learning a lot of new (at least new to me) things that I think will help me out.

I will investigate about this RO/DI water.

Jenna

You learn a whole lot of things on this forum. Trust me. As soon as i pay off all my debts, im getting a vip membership.

You need to stop using tap water right away. That stuff can have copper and all kinds of stuff, flouride....stay away from it.

Get a phosphate kit and test your tap water...I bet it registers. PH around 8.2-8.4 will not just help stop cyano and nuisance algae, but also dinoflaggelates.

Do you have a refugium? I'd highly suggest adding one and adding some macroalgae - that has really helped keep my tank free of nuisance algaes. I didn't have room for a sump, so I added it in the main tank using a small acrylic open topped box, and submerging it 1/2" under the water surface.

Siphon off all you can and cut the intensity of your lights for a while.

i have learned water changes work really well. For me now im having the same problem. Im using a buffer and doing water changes.

Back