Red Algae Newbie Help

Tom866

Reefing newb
Hi Guys,

Im a relative newbie. Got my 50G Tank In December.Its been running for about 3 months now. I have two clownfish, 5 turbo's, 1 emerald crab and 5 hermits. I use a protein skimmer, RO/DI water and do weekly 10% changes. I have a leather coral also. My powerheads are also satisfactory.

The last two weeks this red algae stuff with black bits in it has just taken over and its becoming a nightmare!
My Parameters are:

KH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Salinity 1.025

I got my Phosphate checked with a mates test kit and it was perfect!

I use two brand new light bulbs, acitinic and marine white. They are on for ten hours per day.

420072_10150837335804027_753319026_12659334_1174480376_n.jpg

I have been using the RedSea PO4, N03 remover for the last 5 days - cant say its doing anything.

I have reduced feeds to every 3 days.
And I am planning a 50% water change this weekend.
Its not the kind of algae that easily removes either as it isnt attached or stringy.
I just see lots of black bits in it - like black poo bits lol

Could anybody advise me? I cant do a blackout either because this would harm the coral!

Hello and Welcome!

Actually you can do a blackout, the coral would be fine. However, how much flow do you have? Algae often grows in low flow areas.

Also, phosphate tests are very unreliable. If you have an algae problem, you have phosphates problems. That is about exact as you can get without really fancy testing equipment.

How much are you feeding your fish? Its very easy to overfeed.

Back