Red Algae or Red Slime

oscar

Reefing newb
Hi guys i have a little problem i am getting some sort of red algae or red slime on the the bottom of my tank(on the sand bed). Some guys tell me its red slime others tell me its red algae which one of the two will it be and how will i be able to get rid of it.

without a good picture it is impossible to tell what you have, but, based on your description sounds like Cyanobacteria - some of the following controls may not be suitable for your system but hopefully will give some ideas. - Herbivores, strong water flow to prevent growth on sand. use of protein skimming, activated carbon, ozone, strong water circulation or other means of increasing redox potential of the water and reducing the accumulation of dissolved organic compounds. elevate alkalinity - Herbivores: hermit crabs such as Clibanarius tricolor, some aplysia sp., bursatella, strombus alatus and turban snails, blennies, ctenochaetus spp. tangs. you did not say what your water parameters are. most importantly the cause needs to be determined so prevention can be applied before it starts. if your system is new it will probably run its course. do not over feed system in the meantime.hope somthing here helps.

Do frequent water changes to export all the stuff jhnrb was talking about will help quite a bit. How old is the tank?

I agree my guess given its location it is cyrno.Do you have a protein skimmer.I used to have that slime as well till I installed one.I used some chemi clean a couple of time and it helped alot(this will remove the exsisting slime so you can work on keeping it gone)also some some phosphate remover might help.

My 25 gallon tank is 5 months old and has power compact lights a hang on filter (Millennium 2000) a Seaclone 100 protein skimmer and one power head. I have 40-50 pounds of live rock and the following fish,inverts,and corals: one red and blue Mushroom,and one ricordea mushroom, one star polyp, one yellow polyp, one zoo polyp, one frog spawn, one feather duster,and one devils hand leather coral. Inverts: two Hermit crabs, two Emerald green crabs, one Sally light foot, two peppermint shrimps,one Coral banded shrimp,4 Bumble bee snails, 15 trochus snails,and one Flame scallop. Fish: two percula clown fish, one Fire fish, and one damsel . Last weeks water perimeters where 10.22-10.24 salinity calcium was at 450 alkalinity was high but the person who i consult with at the local aquarium store told me it could be a little higher to add a little more dosage PH was at 8.4 nitrate & nitrite where excellent. don't remember the exact level on nitrates & nitrites but i remember her telling me they where excellent. she didn't check on the phosphates either. Since i've had the tank she is the only one who's helped me out. i waited about 2-3 months to start to add the corals i wanted to get all the live rock in first.since i started to add coral this is what i have been using as additives to the tank. Do you guys think im on the right track or am i over feeding under feeding, are the products that i am using are good or worthless. like i said this problem started maybe a week ago. thanks for your time and these are the products i use.
P.S. i feed live brine shrimp to my fish every other day.
1. B-Ionic 15 ml everyday ( alkalinity & calcium )
2. Reef Builder alkalinity 2 times a week (alkalinity in powder form)
3. Microvert 2 times a week 1/2 a capful
4. Marine Phytoplankton 2 times a week ( the canister comes with a little spoon 1 of those mixed with water.)
5.Kent Marine ZooMax expert series 2 times a week 3 drops only (very concentrated )
6. Strontium & Molybdenum 2 times a week 1/2 a capfull
7. Kent Marine Lugols Solution Iodine 1 time a week 1 drop ( very concentrated)
8. Cyclopeeze 1 time a week (3 very small spoonfull mixed with water)

no doubt the cause of the outbreak is the feeding if nothing new was added within 10 days before the outbreak. i agree with bk. your immediate fix is to use boyd chemi clean. it is safe for your inverts and fish. follow manufacturers directions. you must test for nitrates and nitrites and phosphates. cut back on your feeding to 1/2 and see if that does not help. you have a lot going into a small water mass. increase your ciculation in the area where the problem is developing. check for oxygen levels and if low you need to increase the oxygen level. should be around 5+. hope something here helps. you have a lot of bio load in your system considering the food additions so cut feeding in half, increase water circulation, and maintain water changes weekly. keep testing and watch your parameters on salinity, hardness, alkalinity, etc so that you do not raise things up too high. ph is at upper range. occasionally you need to go in and blow off and around the rock/reef like a storm. do this before you do a water change and clean filter. about once per month. stuff tends to collect in the cracks and crevices and decompose. good luck any more questions post question. finally test for silicates when you can.

We all agree with the chemi clean.I also agree with John about the feeding Your are adding allot of nutrients that slime feeds off of.You may also try a fighting conch to sift through the sand bed.also they will eat the stuff to.I would also watch the peppermints around your yellow polyps.I had peppermint shrimp and yellow polyps.He eat all but a couple.I guess they resemble aiptaisia to much.

Back