Red Algea

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I'm finally getting my tank were it should be. My live rock is looking good mostly green but I noticed that it is getting a little bit of purple growing on it. I have purple growing on the glass. All my snails and shrimps are doing good. The only thing I can't get rid of is some red algea. Not sure what's causing it. All my readings are great. I just did a water change yesterday and cleaned out all the red stuff and it's back again. I's only on the backside of the tank on top of the sand and a little bit on the live rock. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

It comes off in a blanket. It's a pain to get out.

Sounds like turf algae, somone can correct me if I am wrong.

I guess I am not familiar with your tank.

How long has it been set up?
Do you have a skimmer?
What kind of water are you using?
What did your Nitrates read?

Sounds like red slime algae to me, if it's coming off in a blanket. Try running a phosphate spongs like RowaPhos or PhosBan in one of your filters. Also try increasing the water movement in your tank. And don't overfeed.

What are your perameters testing at?
If your using flakes or pellets think about switching to frozen foods.

My red slime came from using the Kent Marine Phytoplex. I was dosing the recommended amount and times of the week but it was still to much.

Sounds like red slime(cyno) to me also.Check phosphate and try one of those phosphate remover Biff recommended-fish/coral food or the makeup water is usually the source.I would continue a regular water change(10-20wkly.),use some kind of phosphate remover for now and switch over to frozen foods.In time,things will get better.

BTW,It would help to siphon some of it out during a water change.

Readings are:

Salinity 1.024
PH 8.2
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Calcium 450
Iodine .06

Use frozen food for shrimps feed once a day. Started using RO water.

Need to get a Phosphate test.

Also was thinking of getting a thingy(can't remember what it's called) for more water movement.

Thanks for the help.

I didn't realize they came in so many sizes How big of a one do I need for a 55 gallon? I have the water flow from the sump Plus air stones which I assume I can get rid of once I get a powerhead.

I recommend two Koralia Model 2 or one Model 3.
$34.99 for the Model 2
$39.99 for the Model 3

Check Premiumaquatics.com.
You can go with regular Maxi-Jets which are cheaper(two MJ900 should be good)$15 each online.

I forgot to mention that I have two K2 on my 75 which is about perfect.I highly recommend them.Yote,Fishbait and I have them.I'm sure many more have them too.

Sounds like cyanobacteria, nasty stuff. In addition to running phosguard and doing regular water changes, monitor how much you feed daily (drop to once every other day. Your fish won't die), but the most important thing is current. Cyano hates lots of current. place two powerheads on opposite ends of the tank, pushing the water into the middle, it will create a current that hits the bottom of the tank and stirs things up a bit. Cyano also loves lots of light, so, while you are increasing current and reducing food, also reduce light. Your corals won't need more than 3-4 hours of light in a day and that will help control the cyano until you can vacuum it all up. Best of luck to you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

One Koralia #4 will give you so much flow that cyno will have a hard time getting started.
But I recommend the two #2s in a 55.That way can set them for more random flow.

I finally got rid of the airstones and got a powerhead. I went with the one that reeffreak suggested. I got the K2. Got a questions though. Can a fish get caught in it?

i haven't had any get caught in mine. and i have a baby clown goby. they suck water in from the sides and spit it out the front. i wouldn't think that a fish could swim throught the current and actually get to the little prop. at least a fish that was small enought to get in there would'nt be strong enough swimmer to.

Back