Red Brain Coral

Chris

Reefing newb
I purchased a beautiful piece of red brain coral today. Unfortunately the lights went off on the tank 5 mins after I placed it. I will take a picture tomorrow and attach it to this post.

crap, I forgot to post a picture of it. I will tonight. What kind of experience does anyone have with brain corals? Everything I read says they are fairly easy to keep. They like moderate to bright light with moderate flow.

Trachyphylia Geoffroyi (formally Wellsop0hylia radiata) - The most common form is the falbello-meandroid. All develop multiple mouths as they grow. They possess numerous hidden very small feeding tentacles that typically stay out of sight under a flap during the day but come out day or night when food is provided. Flabello-meandroid specimens have a small cone shaped base while those that are domed have a flat bottom skeleton and almost all specimens come in mixes of green and red (bluish or gray are not common).They also expand to a surprising size well beyond the boundaries of their skeletons. Can tolerate lighting from low to high intensity. They prefer a low to moderate current and they will not expand fully if the currents are too strong. Will eat small meaty foods provided by hand and will also benefit form additions of inverebrate foods and a D.S.B. setup. They are very sensitive to stings from more dangerous corals. they prefer to be placed on the bottom on a soft sediment substrate, away from other aggressive corals. They may reproduce on their own by the production of polyp buds. Typically very hardy, may on occasion begin to recede from their skeletons or stop expanding their tissues for unknown reasons. they often recover but not always. good luck with your new coral

Brains!

I just love brains!

Icky reminder of Night of the Living Dead.

That's a beauty you have there.

My new 135 is going to be dedicated to LPS coral.

Angela

Open brains are very suseptical to damage of the soft fleshy part over the septars. if the brain has been damaged you could have a bacterial infection, if coral is not damaged you could have cynobacteria, or expelled zooxanthellae. could be something from else where in the tank if on the out side. could not tell by pict posted. not clear enough. can you tell if the soft tissue is damaged?. hope something here helps. The bright red specimens generally are from very turbid water, or they were shaded by an overhang or adjacent coral. they fare best at the bottom of a brightly illuminated tank. the red colour is indicative of green light usage. the use of a green flourescent bulb will enhance the colour and health of the specimen, through green light makes other specimens appear less colourful. Trachyphylia geoffroyi is hardy . iodine (as potassium iodide) is expecially critical for the health of trachypyllia. symptoms of iodine deficiency are sudden bleaching accompanied by poor tissue expansion, and inability to adapt to a light field. should be fed small pieces of fresh shrimp at night when tentacles are extended. weekly feedings will help. good luck. hope the brown is not a narcosis/brown jelly or other infection. wish i could help more but pic not good enough for me to see what i need to see so the above is just fruit for thought. hope something helps.

Jhnrb,

Here are the pictures of the fungus on the coral....

DSCF0068.JPG

DSCF0067.JPG

DSCF0066.JPG

Chris,

If you need some Lugol's solution for a treatment, I can bring it Saturday. I also have an antibiotic. I can tell you from my recent experience that if you have bristleworms, they'll start attacking the coral that is sick. If it were my piece, I'd find some type of container to sit it in to try and keep out the bristleworms.

Angela

chris, you need to try and remove as much of the gunk as you can, i.e. tweezers, siphon etc. be careful not to damage the coral any further. then the coral needs to be some where where you can apply a light/medium flow over the coral so it can sluff off if needed and protect it from other animals. you should also treat for a bacterial infection. It is hard to try and explain how to do all this but hopefully you will get the idea. the most important thing is if you want to take the time needed to try and save the coral, or you could just remove as much of the junk as you can safetly and direct a light medium current over the coral. Looking at the 1st pics again it appears that the coral had something at those locations then also. anyway good luck. if i get any more ideas ill send them on. keep us posted. on the progress. I have not had success in the past in saving these animals and found that the ones i had trouble with came with damage already done just didnt see it at first. good luck. keep us posted.

Back