Red bta lost it's colour ?

Lesely

Reefing newb
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Spent a bomb and got my first red bta. All other BTAs have thrived in this tank. It has now been. 7 weeks. He hasn't moved around & is eating opening and acting like all the others But lost all it's red ? Sorry about the picture but he is at the back of the tank And is def not red. !

Is the middle pic the same anemone? Sometimes when they have the stringy tentacles instead of the bulbs their coloring doesn't appear as intense. Did you acclimate it to your lighting because that can cause them to bleach some as well? I have seen some red ones get more greenish/brown hues under intense lighting which sucks when you pay for a red one.

Is the middle pic the same anemone? Sometimes when they have the stringy tentacles instead of the bulbs their coloring doesn't appear as intense. Did you acclimate it to your lighting because that can cause them to bleach some as well? I have seen some red ones get more greenish/brown hues under intense lighting which sucks when you pay for a red one.
hi, yes the middle picture and nem is the same. I am not too worried about the bubbles going as I know that happens but it is brown instead of red now???
Is there any way we can get the red back ? I am soo annoyed we paid $400 for him and not worth a cracker now the way he looks....
Any help would be appreciated.

Everything us so expensive over here. Compared to your prices. Red gonis are $120-150 each about size of a 20c piece. Red bta can fetch $600.

Is that anemone in a dimmer area? Remind me what kind of lighting you have?
He moved to a cave. Comes our when lights are on though. Photo was taken as lights going down. I have ATI 8 x 80watt. All other bta have done incredibly well that's the only reason we spent that kind of money on this one. I really don't believe it's the lighting ? I just can't understand it !!!! Grrrrr !!!

Yes your lighting is sufficient. This is what I think is going on----- although your lighting is sufficient it may not be as intense as the lighting it was formally under. The red morph zooxanthella isn't as abundant because it isn't needed. I think if you could persuade it to move higher under the light it would have the need to produce more zooxanthella and get the color back. Keep in mind that I am assuming it hasn't bleached any because I really can't tell much from the pics other than the middle one that looks red.

Will try. I don't believe he's bleached. I have bought some bleached nems. If you look really closely he does have red in the very tips of tentacles. I will try to make him move up a little by redirecting my power heads ! Thanks for suggestion. Will let you know how it goes !

I'm with salt for brains, red colouration means they're used to higher intensities. Mine wandered around for a while till they found a place to their liking and looked kind meh. If I could just keep them from playing chicken with the wavemaker and self fragging in the overflow, I'd be doing something, lol.

I'm with salt for brains, red colouration means they're used to higher intensities. Mine wandered around for a while till they found a place to their liking and looked kind meh. If I could just keep them from playing chicken with the wavemaker and self fragging in the overflow, I'd be doing something, lol.
so let me get this right, are you both say that I need to turn the lights up and he might get his coulor back. ????

Yes, I believe increasing the intensity will increase zooxanthella thus bringing back the color.
replacing all. 8 globes next couple if days. 4 were 7 months old other 4 12 months old. Didn't realize they were all that old until checked maintenance book. Oooops. Bad mummy ! Hope that makes a difference. ?

Back