Red Bugs

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I think I have red bugs in my tank. Yesterday when I fed my corals I noticed these orange colored specks on several of my SPS - never seen them before. Haven't added any new SPS since March and have always dipped everything I've added in CoralRx, but somehow one must have made it through the dip at some point and now they've poliferated enough that I'm actually seeing them. I have lost 2 colonies and 2 other frags for (previously) unknown reasons - perhaps they were infested and I just didn't know. Anyhow, I know I can use interceptor to get rid of them, but some of my colonies have encrusted over onto the rocks and I can't remove all of them to treat them separate from the tank. I bought a medium sized male melanarus wrasse today hoping it might help. Do you guys think the wrasse will be enough? I considered adding a sixline as well but the ones at the store were all super small and the guy at the LFS thought it might be bullied by the other fish my tank. Any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

This is HNG's post on The Reef Tank NOT my Info but I hope this helps.

Red bugs are a common parasitic crustacean that infects only Acropora species of SPS corals. They are quite common in our hobby and can infect an entire aquarium after hitchhiking on a new coral or frag. They are very small (0.5 mm) and appear yellow with a red dot. Common signs of a red bug infection include color fading, poor polyp extension, and slow death of colonies. You may have to use a magnifying glass to see them, and make sure you check all sides of the coral.
Prevention

The best method of avoiding an infection is to quarantine every new frag coming into your tank. That will give you a chance to examine it for a while before introducing it into the display tank. I have also heard of using Tropic Marin Coral Cure or iodine as a dip, which also helps prevent Acropora eating flatworms (AEFW) and nudibranches - I think. (Be warned, many people do not consider the dips to be effective for all these parasites or their eggs.) Some people will also do a treatment with "Interceptor" before placing a coral into their system.

Treatment

Once you find an infection, it becomes necessary to treat the tank or all the acros in a QT tank. Since acropora species are the only corals affected, you can remove all the acros to a small QT tank and treat them there instead of treating the entire display tank. The drug of choice is a dog and cat heartworm medication called Interceptor. The active ingredient "Milbemycin" is a very effective antibiotic that will specifically target crustaceans including the red bugs. Prior to treating, you should remove all crabs and shrimps that you want to save. See the following link for detailed instructions on how to use Interceptor: http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859.

Dosing

Interceptor comes in several different doses, the one that is used is the pill for large dogs (50-100 pounds). Place the pill in a plastic container and crush it into a powder with the back of a spoon. If you have a sensitive scale, the dose is 25 mg of powder per 10 gallons. This is an estimate and it's not common to have a scale that sensitive. The entire pill weighs 1000 mg so some people just estimate - for example, a 100 gallon system would require 250 mg of powder, or 1/4 of a pill. The exact dose doesn't seem to be that important. In a conversation with TDWyatt, he explained that acroporas seem to be free of any side effects from the Milbemycin (but don't go dosing at 100X the recommended!).

Before dosing your tank, be sure to remove any crabs or shrimps that you want to save. Although some people have not lost any desirable crustaceans from a treatment, it's still a good idea.

Duration

The orginal treatment was supposed to last for 6 hours and then a 25% water change was done and carbon was added to the system. 3 total treatments were done one week apart. There is newer information about red bugs now. It seems that they have a 5 day life cycle and a 3 week treatment cycle may not be necessary. Eric Borneman (don’t laugh) has some observations about treating red bugs and recommends a much longer treatment period - 12-24 hours instead of just 6. His observation is that longer treatment times and not higher doses are more effective in eliminating red bugs. (http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes...Treatment.html) I have treated my acroporas for 24 hours without any negative results. If you were to use a QT tank for treatment, keep the acroporas out of your display for at least 5 days (to allow all the existing red bugs to die from the lack of a host).

Storage

TDWyatt recommends keeping the unused powder in an opaque medicine bottle (clearly labelled) in the fridge. That should keep it good for a while.

Good luck everyone, and I hope you never get the dreaded red bugs

Back