Red Coralline algae or something else?

It could be a sponge. It feels like one. I would say that this type of sponge is so prolific that it verges on being a pest. My corals won't (or can't) grow on rocks that are covered in it.

I did some research today and I found several articles that lead me to believe that it is a type of encrusting sponge. So unless someone tells me different that's what I'm going with.
Thanks D! That's kind of what I was thinking. When I first received the rock, it was a good deal, but shipped fairly poorly, so anything on the surface died. There were a lot of encrusting sponges, all colors. I'll still try to get a better color picture. It is a really nice blood red!
Cheers
David

Ok I've read all of these posts so far. Chris_150G is correct, this is Cyano. Also known as red slime algae. It is BAD algae. There is no such thing as "red velvet algae" or "Red velvet coralline".
Take your rock out and clean it or buy something to kill red slime algae.

Ok I've read all of these posts so far. Chris_150G is correct, this is Cyano. Also known as red slime algae. It is BAD algae. There is no such thing as "red velvet algae" or "Red velvet coralline".
Take your rock out and clean it or buy something to kill red slime algae.
Welcome to the site. This is a 4 year old post.

Thanks! Goes to show that people who are searching online will stable upon this thread looking for answers, with this thread being 1 of the top 3 results. :)

Back