red crab?

Rockyreiter

Reefing newb
so a lot of the fish stores in my area have these crabs all of the time. they just call them red crabs, but i've never found anything about them online or heard of anyone else having them when ive tried looking for information. ive had mine for about a month so far and all i know is that it's nocturnal, scared of anything that moves and doesn't really need any special treatment.
does anyone know much about them?

tumblr_lie26j1br51qdju3no1_1280.jpg

No idea, but that is a great pic. Also that behavior is very typical of all crabs. They are such wimps

i wish i could say i knew more but i don't get to observe him all of the time... this is the first time he's been out at the front of my tank in the whole month that ive had him! it's cool to find him resting in a certain spot though. he usually has his eyes laying down in the grooves of his shell when i find him.. they look like little windshield wipers!

Wow awesome pic you should totally enter this in to the POTM contest!

I love crabs personally and he looks really awesome. He reminds me of Mr. Crabs on spongebob!

It may be an emerald crab...we're used to only seeing the green ones. My lfs has them in green and red.

aren't the red emerald crabs called strawberry crabs? ive seen them before at the LFS. these are a lot different though.. the way his claws rest, the size of the claws, his eyes, and his multi-colored legs are just too many differences for me to put them together.. also, my emerald crab in the past would raise his claws to defend himself from anything while this one just hides.

btw... he burrows in the sand. i haven't seen other crabs do that... hmmmm

I dont think thats an emerald crab, the claws look different and the legs arent hairy.

Also strawberry crabs are not emerald crabs, but that isnt a strawberry crab either. The strawberries have little white spots on them.

strawberry-crab.jpg

I dont think thats an emerald crab, the claws look different and the legs arent hairy.

Also strawberry crabs are not emerald crabs, but that isnt a strawberry crab either. The strawberries have little white spots on them.

thanks for the clarification :) the guy at the LFS just compared the strawberry crabs to them when he was telling me what all he had in his tank

strawberry-crab.jpg

Sure thats not an actual strawberry??? ;) Haha
But serious dude, put that in the Picture of the month, its a great shot!!

I too have a red crab I bought from a pet store. I bought it about a month ago. It has come out of hiding during the day occasionally but does get spooked very easily. His body is about the size of a quarter. My question is... do they get a white film on them when they're molting? Mine does & one of his eyes is encased in a bubble. I also cannot find ANY info about them. I'm assuming it's molting but, didn't think it wouldn't do it out in the open. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know. I'm concerned about it being something that could hurt my tank. Otherwise, I'll let you know what happens for future experimentalists.

Back