red cyano

hollywood11892

Reefing newb
iv had an issue with cyano, at first it started im sure because i was using tap water. but 3 days a go i went and tested water and i have 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate. im not sure what else it could be iv read that it could be the tempature because i have 250watt 10k metal halides so temp gets a bit high like 84 because im in the process of mounting it a bit higher, any other ideas. i thought it was nutrient control but i guess not.

phosphate testing is basically hit and miss you may have it but the cyanbo is feeding on it so fast that it reads zero. i had that same problem until i started actually buying RO/DI water from my LFS and now its no more

Even though you've been using RODI for a month or so, your LR may still be leaching phosphates from the tap. Just my :twocents: hope it gets resolved for ya.

If you have cyano, you'll likely get a false negative on phosphate tests, and they aren't that accurate to begin with.

It's not a temp issue, it's still a nutrient export issue

ok any way to accuratly test it? i dont have any fish in at the moment havnt been in for a month due to ick. and how can i fix my nutrient export issue

I had cyano for a couple months about a year and half ago and the only advice I got was to point a power head at it and reduce feeding to minimal amounts. That still didn't help and I was having to suck it off of my corals daily which was a losing battle. Finally I went to the lfs and got a product called Red Slime Remover. There are other products that do the same thing but that's just the name of the stuff I got. It was $17 for a small container but it doesn't take much to treat the tank and I only had to treat it twice. Haven't had an issue since then and I was able to bring my feeding back up to regular amounts. Hope that helps

iv had an issue with cyano, at first it started im sure because i was using tap water. but 3 days a go i went and tested water and i have 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate. im not sure what else it could be iv read that it could be the tempature because i have 250watt 10k metal halides so temp gets a bit high like 84 because im in the process of mounting it a bit higher, any other ideas. i thought it was nutrient control but i guess not.

try red slime remover

Yeah, its really a matter of controlling your water. If you're using tap, make sure your silicates are met with a strong silicate remover or you risk diatom blooms.

Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. You can try and siphon out what you can to remove the algae in the short term. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. Also using RO/DI water and a high quality salt with little if any NO3, phosphates etc like Tropic Marin will really help too. Adding a phosphate remover and increasing flow in your tank may help too.

Back