Red Diatoms?

rlsdsurfer

Reefing newb
Hi Gang, where I once hd normal brown diatoms I know have red w/some brown mixed in. Not cyano, not stringy no form at all looks just like grown diatoms but red. LS sand is fine, no discoloration. Any clues and hoe to get ride of it. BTW, only on back class.

I disagree--- being red doesn't automatically make it cyano. Properly identifying your bloom can sometimes be difficult but if you can it is very helpful determining proper course of action.

See if it looks like any of these algaes Nuisance Algae ID Guide

Hi Salt_for_ brians, great link thanks, Have determined through Little_fishes expert help to others that I have Coraline on my LR, not slimy, won't scratch off buy touch. But the dusty looking red/maroon stuff on the back class I don't know yet. Not in any of the pics in Nuisance algae. Little_fish also mentioned ALL new systems,(4 mths), have a cyano outbreak?

So far best treatment I see, (without chems), is reduce the lights or turn off completely for three days? Have Skunk shrimp, Pulsing Xenia, green Zoa, Kryptonite Cane, and just put in a Mandarin goby yesterday. C tese AL survive without light for 3 days?

Or can I simply clean it off the class and change the water?

You can clean and siphon out as much as you can during a water change. If you decide to do lights out everything will be fine as the sun doesn't always shine on a reef either:D Make sure you cover the glass with towels or a sheet or something so no indirect light will enter the tank as well.

You can clean and siphon out as much as you can during a water change. If you decide to do lights out everything will be fine as the sun doesn't always shine on a reef either:D Make sure you cover the glass with towels or a sheet or something so no indirect light will enter the tank as well.
TY Nick...so you think it is cyano on the glass? The Carline on the LR is apparently a good thing, yes?
So if I black out for three days is that no feeding also? :frustrat:

By the way---- yes all new tanks go through different types of blooms. Mature tanks can also experience blooms at times. Just be diligent with water changes and other tank maintenance. Good luck!

It may or may not be cyano on your glass a picture would help. Coraline is a good thing although there are some that don't care for it. I would feed them good before the blackout and then nothing during.

Last edited:
Back