Red fire Shrimp

mtkid6

So much to learn....
When shrimp molt do they hide away for awhile? I haven't seen mine in a day or so. Hoping he isn't dead somewhere.

Yes, it's common for them to hide for a few days after they molt. During this time, their new exoskeleton is really soft, and they have little to no protection from predators or the environment. Hiding allows their exoskeleton some time to harden.

The exoskeleton looks almost like a replica of their body. It all depends mine molted about every two weeks when they were younger but, lately it's been more like every 4-6 weeks.

he is very small. The lfs guy gave me a deal because he was small. I will keep an eye out for a while and not worry to much about it right now.

Mine molt monthly. Look for him at night. When I shine my red light it the tank it always catches my shrimps attention.

When you move a tank, you are pretty much starting over.

Hopefully you got those nitrates down enough and he is just chillin in a cave letting his new shell harden!

Understand, that there is a chance that he'll never come out...Sometimes, they're perfectly happy living in the rocks..I've got a blood shrimp that stays in the rocks, the only way I can see him is to look under the rock and see his whiskers.

Back