Red Mandarin Feeding

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So I picked up a red mandarin the other day from the LFS... he gave me a good deal on it because its a little skinny and their fish tanks have copper in them to kill Ick and other crap off, but that also kills off the pods so its slightly starved.

My question is, I was looking at him today (i know all they eat is pods) and he is picking at the rocks a lot. Is he finding pods? Or is he eating other stuff off the rocks??

I have a fuge set up and ive seen copepods in the tank, and also some monster amphipods in the sump... but it doesnt seem like he is picking up pods off the rocks... unless they are really tiny?? Thanks!

Most likely if he`s already skinny then he`ll starve to death. I know you have well intentions but unless you can get him to eat something then it wont be long.Try some mysis or vitamin fortified brine and see if he`ll eat that. Good luck on the attempt.

My mandarin likes sushi roe, which you can get at asian markets fairly inexensively. Also, he'll occasionally eat cyclopeeze. the roe saved mine from starvation-- good luck with yours!

mine has picked at the rocks since day one, and hes fat and happy, i figure he's gotta be finding something to eat if he's fat and still alive since march...

I think if he is looking around at the rock and then 'picking' at what he sees then I think he is eating pods. You can also try what the others have suggested. It depends on whether he is too far gone to recover or not. Certainly him eating is a good sign though. Good luck, hope he makes it.

Keep us posted. I'd like a mandarin one day, and reading everyone's mandarin posts are very insightful and helping me prepare for when I'm ready for one.

When you say RED mandrine,are you meaning a scooter blenny?
If so,Its in the mandrine family,but is generally easier to keep and most will take to frozen foods like a hound takes to eatin biscuits.

no i mean red mandarin, there's red and green ones, the difference is in the brightness of their color, the red ones are a lot brighter

I've had success fattening 2 Mandarin Gobies both Red. 1+ They will eat sushi roe. They will also eat "Ocean Nutrition Marine Formula 1 Small pellets". They are shy and will swim away when they see movement, so come in slowly and try to drop the food right in front of them with a turkey baster. I also throw the pellets down so they sink in the water right in front of the MD. Turning off flow at feeding time during the first month or so will help. I've also seen my MD occasionally nibble at blood worms.

what sen said...

where do you get sushi roe? there arent very many asian stores around where i live... so unless like walmart carries the stuff im kinda screwed.

First time I tried it for my mandarin, I just took some home from my local sushi restaurant. :D The lady thought I was weird, asking for a to-go box for some excess roe and nothing else... but I don't care :)

Otherwise, I bet there's a little asian or international market somewhere in your area. Just might have to search.

Back