Red Planet Acropora

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I picked up a frag of red planet acropora along with four other frags. This one is the only one that doesn't seem to want to do anything. I had it at the bottom for three days and nothing. Moved it to the middle and after two more days, still looks the same, just bare stalk. Maybe a little peeking out of the polyps but nothing encouraging. Should it take this long for it to adapt? I have a power head pretty much pointing right onto it and it's in the middle of the tank. Any tips on how to help this thing out? I'll put up a pic in a bit to show what I'm talking about.

IMG_5790.JPG
They are slow grower in my experience. I don't know if a direct flow is the best for it. It just takes time. Take your time light acclimating it - a lot of frags come green and take time to color up. If your water chemistry is good (nitrates/phosphates/calcium/alk) you will start getting good polyp extension. That's a good sign. I find that they encrust substantially before showing any real growth. I posted 2 pics - the first one is from May 2013 - that's how I got my frag when I mounted it. The second is from today. That's about 4 months of growth - not exactly fast compared to other SPS.

IMG_1201

Maybe it just need more time to fully acclimate to your tank. I will keep it in the middle of the tank for now with moderate water flow. But I'm not an expert.

Yeah, mine does have a green color to it. I don't want to take a pic of it with just actinics on and I'm not home while the halides are on so a pic may have to wait til the weekend. Maybe by then it'll wake up.

I'd acclimate it on the sand bed at first, just like anything else. It will do best between 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the tank. They all can and will have a green base. Depending upon the placement they will turn more green (lower in the tank) or more of a deep red (higher in the tank).

Back